Pulled Beef - Best Cut

Pat McCreight

TVWBB Pro
I need to prepare some bbq for our annual fantasy football draft in a couple weeks. I want something relatively easy and inexpensive to feed 10 large men. Pork comes to mind, but I'm tired of it to be honest, so I want to do pulled beef sandwiches.

What's the best cut for this? Chuck roast, Clod?

'Chuck roast' is a generic term. Could be any part of the chuck; fine, as far as it goes. Shoulder clod would be fine or why not do a chuck roll? Halve it and cook both, freezing what you won't need. Or halve and freeze one half, cook the other.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Shoulder clod would be fine or why not do a chuck roll? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've not cooked either of these - do you have a preference? I believe I've seem them both at Restaurant Depot, but I don't know the price per pound of either.

I'm all for cooking extra and freezing it for later uses.

The chuck roll is my preference.

CRs can be quite large. Halving cuts the cook time, as does foiling when internals hit the 160s.

I've only ever made pulled beef once but it was with a 7-lb hunk of a chuck roll (I had the butcher cut it)

It was fantastic. Your mileage my vary.

I did a 24 lb. chuck roll in mid June...cut it in half and it still took forever. Excellent for pulled beef sandwiches and the leftovers have been great in enchiladas, salads, nachos etc....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
The chuck roll is my preference.

CRs can be quite large. Halving cuts the cook time, as does foiling when internals hit the 160s. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto what the Kevster said on the chuck roll, I did one a awhile back and it turned out great.

For something different, I like to go with beef shin/gravy beef. It is FULL of connective tissue that turns into gelatin and melts when it is cooked. You end up with this beautiful mass of sticky meat when it is pulled and mixed. Imagine the texture of pork rib meat (nice and sticky) - like this but even better!

Hmm,
This sounds pretty good. I have only done beef ribs & HT brisket flats. Cooking topic says "looks like brisket, pulls like pork".
I might have to try this out!!

Chuck Roll all the way. Make sure you strap him in for the ride home.
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

ChuckRoll002.jpg

I picked up about 8kg (18 pounds) worth of beef shin, gravy and shank - will post pics up as I am preparing it... might scare some of you as there is a LOT of connective tissue (tendons, collagen, elastin etc), but this stuff turns into lip smacking jelly when cooked low and slow... like a beef lollypop :-).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Chuck Roll all the way. Make sure you strap him in for the ride home.
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTF And my wife thinks I'm crazy for singing to my meat. Can't wait to see her face when I do this. Vince

Back