Pudding

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So pudding is one of those indulgent things I find don't bother my blood sugar too badly, but I've been wondering about something better. Since even the Jello stuff you "cook" is a chemical s&*t storm in a box. So, I found a recipe to make actual pudding. Wife and I modded it slightly, and we made a single batch yesterday. Holy cow! So freaking good I was blown away. Did not take really any longer than the chemistry set stuff, no huge blood sugar rise, and actually tasted like "something" you should eat rather than a Gilbert Chemistry set.

My Dad had to watch his sugar as well, and both liked and tolerated the Jello . Liked the vanillas and they used to have a key lime back in the day.

So pudding is one of those indulgent things I find don't bother my blood sugar too badly, but I've been wondering about something better. Since even the Jello stuff you "cook" is a chemical s&*t storm in a box. So, I found a recipe to make actual pudding. Wife and I modded it slightly, and we made a single batch yesterday. Holy cow! So freaking good I was blown away. Did not take really any longer than the chemistry set stuff, no huge blood sugar rise, and actually tasted like "something" you should eat rather than a Gilbert Chemistry set.
Well....Post the recipe;-)

Cook Time: 10 mins​

Additional Time: 2 hrs Total Time: 2 hrs 10 mins

Servings: 4

Ingredients​

1/3 cup white sugar

3 tablespoons cornstarch

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 1/2 cups milk

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions​

Step 1

Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a 2-quart saucepan. Slowly stir in milk and bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes more. Stir in vanilla.

Step 2

Pour hot pudding into dessert glasses or molds that have been rinsed in cold water. Chill until firm, at least 2 hours. Unmold if desired and serve.

One thing we discovered. If you want to make chocolate pudding. Use unsweetened cocoa powder. (we used Hershey's Dutch Processed IIRC. But any good powder will do. Reduce the vanilla. We did not so while it was VERY good, it took on a little more of a chocolate caramel taste. Some might find that good but I wanted a touch more chocolate flavor profile. IDK how much we used LOL IIRC maybe 2 TBS but it could have been a hair more. And to offset the cocoa powder I think we used MAYBE 2 tsp additional sugar. Was not overly sweet but next time I will not as with chocolate I prefer the more slightly bitter profile i.e. dark chocolate. And again I would cut vanilla down to 1/2 tsp. We used 1 tsp and I still noted the slight top note of vanilla. Delicious yes but I wanted more cocoa forward profile. But, this was a good basic starting point

Back