Publix

Paul Kastner

TVWBB Hall of Fame
When I moved to Naples Fl. Publix was one of many grocery stores with full service meat counter. Fast forward 5 years and all the stores are gone but Publix and they are in process of shutting down full service meat counter. I never purchase steak, pork chops, pork steaks etc from a self serve. I want to look at what I am purchasing and I want certain size. With in the past two weeks Publix has closed their full service meat counters. Essentially they have turned into Walmart but with Publix prices.

I wrote them a letter and they basically blew me off telling me the market has changed and and no one uses the full service meat counter. Funny how I always had to wait for the butcher to finish with another customer.

Yes I know Whole Foods has a service meat counter. Full service butcher shops sell wagyu beef at $99 a pound.

Costco. Buy in bulk and cut your own. Unfortunately people don’t want to pay for service these days. Those retailers stuck in the middle of price versus bulk won’t survive the long haul. Walmart at one end and Costco at the other. Check out Sprouts if you have one. They’re a less expensive Wholepaycheck and have full service meat and seafood counters.

Fresh Market has a few stores in the Naples area. They have a full service meat counter, always hopping. I picked up 4 pounds of bacon today on their BOGO Wednesday bacon special. I think it's their own brand - good thickness and holds its size when cooked, some bacon will just shrink into nothingness. Good quality stuff, and the specials are good deals. I like the sausage - a good variety of flavors and all are $4.99 on Fridays.

Costco. Buy in bulk and cut your own. Unfortunately people don’t want to pay for service these days. Those retailers stuck in the middle of price versus bulk won’t survive the long haul. Walmart at one end and Costco at the other. Check out Sprouts if you have one. They’re a less expensive Wholepaycheck and have full service meat and seafood counters.
I do this. I guess I am stuck in the past where I want to purchase meat I can look at.

Maybe, I just don't remember the name. We bought a lot of meat from the place. Was rather expensive but a good quality. The cowboy stakes were really good. We were there 2010 thru 2014. .

I have a 81000 sq ft Harris Teeter 2 miles from me and the full service meat counter is very busy. If it’s not ground chuck I’m going to the meat counter.

Back