Publix Greenwise lump charcoal?

Dan Wicker

TVWBB Fan
Anyone ever used the Publix Greenwise lump? Any thoughts? $4.99 for a 9 lb bag isn't cheap by any means, but I might use some for the upcoming turkeys. Non-Cowboy lump for a reasonable price is getting tougher to find in the north Atlanta area.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Wicker:
...$4.99 for a 9 lb bag isn't cheap by any means...Non-Cowboy lump for a reasonable price is getting tougher to find in the north Atlanta area. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What non-Cowboy lump have you found in the past for less than $4.99 per 9lbs? Cheapest I've found was Royal Oak at Walmart for 5.29 for a 10lb bag. Not much better. I'm still not convinced Cowboy deserves the bad rap it gets these days. Many brands of lump include junk.

This guy sells WGC in the Atlanta area...spitfire.net. I'm sure you can get BGE lump from their outlet as well.

Steve, is the RO at Wal mart a seasonal thing? I can't find it at the Wal Marts around here (charlotte). I did get some BGE the other week but its $19/20lbs. I have been using the BGE in the performer but would love to get some RO for the WSM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Cole:
What non-Cowboy lump have you found in the past for less than $4.99 per 9lbs? Cheapest I've found was Royal Oak at Walmart for 5.29 for a 10lb bag. Not much better. I'm still not convinced Cowboy deserves the bad rap it gets these days. Many brands of lump include junk.

This guy sells WGC in the Atlanta area...spitfire.net. I'm sure you can get BGE lump from their outlet as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BGE is clear on the other side of town for me. Never heard of WGC or Spitfire, but it seems like good stuff. Thanks for the heads-up on that - I'll contact them and see where their "distribution center" is.

As far as $4.99 for 9 lbs, I've just heard rumblings of $8.99 for 20 lb bags on here. My experience with lump is limited to one bag of Cowboy once and I wasn't too impressed - got a two large hunks of weird wood scrap in it, and a LOT of unusable dust and chips. I paid $4.99 for an 8 lb bag, IIRC. That was on sale over the summer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...is the RO at Wal mart a seasonal thing? I can't find it at the Wal Marts around here (charlotte)... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The first year they stocked it here, they were sold out by late fall, but now I can find it year round. Ask the Walmart manager to stock it. It might not happen soon, but at least they'll know there's interest in the product.

I used order 20lb bags of Royal Oak lump from a Do-It-Best hardware store. See if there's one near you. Give them SKU# 809233. It's listed at 14.99 for a 20lb bag on their website.

I've also seen Milazzo Qik Joe lump at True-Value hardware stores. I don't know what the SKU is though. On Hwy 16, about 1/2 north of Hwy 73 towards Denver, there's a Turbyfill Hardware store that happens to stock and sell a lot of Weber grills and smokers. I've seen lump in stock there.

Local market had Full Circle brand which I really liked (got great reviews on Nakedwhiz), on sale for $4.99/ 10 lbs but they stopped carrying it for the winter...I asked that they get some more, even at normal price of $5.79 it was worth it. I got som GFS and it is good ($10.99/20 lbs) but not quite as good. All in all I am a lump man now...much better Q than with K (although I did like Rancher).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Cole:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Wicker:
...$4.99 for a 9 lb bag isn't cheap by any means...Non-Cowboy lump for a reasonable price is getting tougher to find in the north Atlanta area. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This guy sells WGC in the Atlanta area...spitfire.net. I'm sure you can get BGE lump from their outlet as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The link shows Wicked Comp blend... but i don't think they have made that for years.

Back