Proud poppa of a new WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Babek

TVWBB Pro
How psyched am I...and how awsome is my wife. I got an early fathers day present and guess what it is...a WSM. The catch is that I have to cook whatever she wants on it for mothers day.

One issue is the rack that goes over the water pan. It wobbles when put on properly, if I turn it over so the cross braces are facing up then it sits flat. I read somewhere on the forum another guy had the same issue but for the life of me I cant find it now that I need it and I cant remember what the solution was. I spun the grate 360 and it didnt help.

Its like a quarter inch wobble to it...thats alot of bending...besides for $180 I really dont wanna be bending anything.

If you don't want to bend it, I would imagine you could just load it up with meat and cook. After the grate gets hot and with the weight of the meat it may warp back flat. If you just gave it a little twist though, that would probably fix the problem. Good luck.

Bob
Just had a second thought, are the four brackets that hold the water pad all on the same plane,make sure one isn't higher than the others.

Well I'll be damned...I just went downstairs, yes the smoker is sitting in my dining room right now. I played with the grates and low and behold. If you line up the cross braces on the grates perpendicular to the door opening the wobble goes away. Dont know if its coincidence but if its not then thats really, REALLY great quality and attention to detail. Im just not used to it yet. Yeah...Im now officially sold on Weber.

My grates have wobbled from day one, though nothing serious. Cooking on the WSM is not like grilling where you're often flipping and turning the food, so the wobble never bothered me much.

Congrats, Jim, on your new "baby"!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Don't worry about the wobbles...seems like we all got 'em. Worry more about if it's gonna rain on your smoke! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Give your missus a BIG HUG and tell her that ya'll will cook a huge brisket and fixin's for her on Mom's Day and it'll be a feast fit for a Queen.

Mark

She says she wants pulled pork sandwiches...I have a picnic shoulder in the freezer but dont know if this would be the best bet. I really want that cook to go perfect. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Jim:

My third or fourth venture on the WSM was pork shoulder. Two 7 pounders slathered with the mustard recipe. I was paranoid cuz it was the annual neighborhood BBQ (Well at least with the neighbors I like) and my first attempt at smoking for an audience besides family.

I started about 9:00pm the night before. Had the meat on by 10:30pm with the Minion Method. Hit the sack about 1:00am and got up about 6:30 am. Temp. on that baby didn't budge from 240 degrees.

Pulled both by 2:00pm, wrapped in foil then wrapped in towels and put in a cooler 'till a 5:00pm meal time. Avg. temp./time: 235 degrees for 16 hours. Had a ziplock bag for leftovers and that was it.

My point: Do the pork shoulder for Mother's Day.

Keep on smokin'!

DWL

Jim,
Use a boston butt and not a picnic. I just cooked multiple Picnics one weekend, then the next weekend I cooked a couple of butts. I used the same exact rub on both (I made extra the first week because I knew I would need it soon). The picnic's were hammy, I threw a Eastern Carolina Vinegar sauce on it, and it was OK. With the butt, people could choose their own sauce, vinegar, or KC style, and it all tasted great. I will never cook another picnic again (unless I make bacon or cure it as a ham maybe...) Plus it takes 1/3 of the time to pull a butt compared to a picnic, at least for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back