Prototype and Breadboard stuff for kettles

Mike Durso

TVWBB Super Fan
Here are a couple of pics of a large indirect basket that's really meant for the 26. But you know.. that would have involved a whole second line of inventory. The option went to the existing smaller stamped indirect baskets.

ssrYQC7.jpg

UufuwJ0.jpg

7gxJC9Q.jpg

CVV2oef.jpg

And the old rusty adjustable charcoal grate. It hooks on the grill straps. If it were chromed or stainless, well the sticky rust wouldn't be an issue.

lwvVbUW.jpg

BMFJY9y.jpg

qmyf5J6.jpg

Thanks for sharing. The 26 is my go too grill and I have always been disappointed in the availability of accessories for this kettle. The charcoal baskets are too small for the 26 so I've gone to fire bricks so I have the capacity for indirect cooks. Would have been awesome to have a charcoal basket available in that size. That adjustable charcoal basket is pretty awesome too!

Since I'm on the topic of the 26...any insight on why the 26 was built on the standard tripod frame? With the weight of the 26 it sure wobbles on such a weak frame. I like a few other members have cut down a ranch frame and placed our 26's in that to fix that. Also, any thoughts on Weber's wisdom on using the same ash sweeps as the 22? They are not long enough to effectively get all the ash.

Anyway. Thanks for share the accesories that could have been

Thanks for sharing. The 26 is my go too grill and I have always been disappointed in the availability of accessories for this kettle. The charcoal baskets are too small for the 26 so I've gone to fire bricks so I have the capacity for indirect cooks. Would have been awesome to have a charcoal basket available in that size. That adjustable charcoal basket is pretty awesome too!

Since I'm on the topic of the 26...any insight on why the 26 was built on the standard tripod frame? With the weight of the 26 it sure wobbles on such a weak frame. I like a few other members have cut down a ranch frame and placed our 26's in that to fix that. Also, any thoughts on Weber's wisdom on using the same ash sweeps as the 22? They are not long enough to effectively get all the ash.

Anyway. Thanks for share the accesories that could have been

At least the first go around of the reintroduced 26 was based on the dimensions of the original. However there was a change over since the original in general -steel legs and the aluminum tubing. Perhaps that aluminum tubing became thinner over time. So much of what I was working on was constrained and stifled by "use what we already have". I had a leg coupling that would have made the newer push button unnecessary as well which was very secure in holding the legs.. At the time "well not invented here, so...." There was that tilt that it seemed to have and then it seemed there was a production error where it REALLY tilted. And you are correct, it's a big mass twisting at that top of that tripod.

The sweepers of the 22 were an invention of Erich Schlosser, I believe. It's pretty cool because you have the curve of the bowl and it's also that folded shape that becomes a more complicated piece of geometry. I don't know how the final length was determined. I do know that right at the tip-top, it seems it barely gets beyond the slot openings. Generally when I clean out the ash with a one touch, I put on a glove and push it all the ash into the openings then a few final plow with the sweeper.

The whole thing is a bit of a novelty. For most people it works fine. It seems if I'm using an old Statesman (3 lower circular vents) or a one touch, something is always left behind. The ash catch bucket is nicer over the plain old tray.

Yes Mike, they all have their best features and, to some, shortcomings. The opinions on both are sometimes flexible but, being "of a certain age" and having cut my teeth on 22's (graduating from three holers to one touch) I'm biased that way. Had life brought me a 26, I'd probably feel differently.
If a 26 does come my way, I'm ready to make space in the garage for it! All of the products I've enjoyed from the
Weber company have made me a better cook. Forty plus years using one and I'm not done learning new tricks these "Orbs of culinary excellence" can provide!

Some people can also "easily" bone out a whole chicken leaving the skin intact too! Metal work is not one of my best talents either.

Yes Mike, they all have their best features and, to some, shortcomings. The opinions on both are sometimes flexible but, being "of a certain age" and having cut my teeth on 22's (graduating from three holers to one touch) I'm biased that way. Had life brought me a 26, I'd probably feel differently.
If a 26 does come my way, I'm ready to make space in the garage for it! All of the products I've enjoyed from the
Weber company have made me a better cook. Forty plus years using one and I'm not done learning new tricks these "Orbs of culinary excellence" can provide!

I should clarify, my comment regarding a "novelty" is about the question about the sweepers, not the 26. It's a nice partial convenience/feature. It works.... mostly. It keeps the appearance nice and tidy and a wind, the ashes contained. But fire it fire and it cooks the same.

Mike, I think we are still in the same chapter if not quite on the same page. The sweepers have been a delightful labor saving device for me, thank you Mr. Schlosser! Aside from that, the aftermarket "toys" are fun but, the fire is the key, I totally agree.

Back