ProQ Cold Smoke Generator

I'm hopefully going get one of these for father's day..and i've been looking into wood chips. I'm not sure i want any of those flavored ones though, but i do want different woods. Has anyone tried the Cameron's Stovetop Smoker chips? They come in a huge variety of woods.

the blind meat cutter wants to take on a new challenge and get one of the cold smoke generators. I want to try making lebanon bologna.has any one tried that? and will this thing really stay lit for 24 hours? If one of you who has used it can email me it would be fun to talk about your experiences with it.

Originally posted by Ian Mack:
It turned out great!
Salmon-11.jpg

In fact I'm tucking into some right now (smoked salmon on toast for lunch).
icon_smile.gif

Ian, The smoke salmon lox looks amazing. Can you elaborate on the time you let the salt cure sit, the time the salmon spend in the smoker, what kind of dust you used etc?

What was the outside temperature? I don't think you can cold smoke if the outside temp is say only 40 degrees can you?

THanks.
Thanks.

reporting back to say that the wood from butcher-packer.com seems too coarse. I haven't tried it yet though.

Anyone in the US have a good supplier of wood dust for the pro-q?

I have been using sawdust from PS Seasoning & Spices. PSSEASONING.Com I have had good results with their dust. Shipping is a big cost.

Looks good. 5 lb bag for $12.
So the sawdust works without any re-grinding or re-drying?
How long does a load last? about as long as the pro-Q dust? 8-10hrs?

holy crap, you weren't kidding. The product is $12 and shipping is $12.
thanks. i might ahve to get a bag anyhow..5lbs should last a good long while

I think it makes sense to order multiple bags. If i order 1 apple ($12) and one mixed ($5), shipping is $13 instead of $12. Tiny increase to get a whole extra 5lbs of dust.

Just want to make sure that this dust works in the pro-Q smoker befor ei buy 10lbs!
icon_smile.gif
D. Baxter can you confirm again that this works without any extra steps? Is it similarly ground to the pro-q stuff?

I ordered exactly what you are looking at, and I did not need to do anything else to the dust it worked great and was as fine as the oak dust that came with the Pro-q. I think the longest I have smoked with it is about four hours, so I don't know how long it will burn. I keep mine in a plastic container and figure I am a one order customer with PS as it is a lot of dust. Hobbies are great! If you order I hope you have good luck. If you are really in doubt I can sent you some to try.

I am unable to get you a close up picture at this time. Sorry about that. I will be gone for a few days and will see what I can do when I get back. Perhaps someone else has used PS dust before.

It's ok. If you're saying it works, i'll go with that. Debating if i should order 1 or 2 backs to spread the shipping cost and for variety.
I'm thinking a bag of mixed hardwood dust and a bag of applewood dust.

Originally posted by Chris E:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ian Mack:
It turned out great!
Salmon-11.jpg

In fact I'm tucking into some right now (smoked salmon on toast for lunch).
icon_smile.gif

Ian, The smoke salmon lox looks amazing. Can you elaborate on the time you let the salt cure sit, the time the salmon spend in the smoker, what kind of dust you used etc?

What was the outside temperature? I don't think you can cold smoke if the outside temp is say only 40 degrees can you?

THanks.
Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Chris, sorry for taking so long to answer your questions..
Temp outside was around 50degs, I left it in the salt for around 10 hours, before washing the salt off and then hanging it in the fridge overnight. Smoked for 10 hours using hickory dust, but would also use Alder or Beech(some people smoke for 24 hours) the time you smoke for really depends on personal taste. I've smoked at temps of 35degs before, with no problems. We now managed to cut down the shipping costs, so we're happy to pass on the savings... now $29.99, delivered to your door.

Easiest way to make smoking grade sawdust is to leave a bag of traeger pellets outside in a heavy rainstorm! ( OK It was a mistake but it works. ) I bought the pro q cold smoker because I already had 12 lbs of sawdust!

Back