Propping the door open?

Eric Michaud

TVWBB Super Fan
I have read when doing a hight heat cook on the WSM ( I have an 18.5, about a month old) that you can flip the door and prop it open. I have not beeen able to do this. Any pointers or pics on the site?

Thanks,
Eric

Eric, why can't you do this. Simply remove the door. Turn it upside down with handle closest to the ground. Insert bottom of door, now on top into door opening. Close and latch door. When I used to do this, no more, I got a thin piece of wood and made a notch in the end the that the handle would fit in. I would open the door a bit, slide the wood with notch under the nob and brace the other end of the wood on the ground. You can also take a piece of smoke wood about an inch thich and slide it in the opening.

see another method here:

http://www.virtualweberbullet....cessdoor.html#upside

I now don't need to do this as I added more vents to accomplish the same result but easier.

Mark.

There are other methods to get more airflow. Look at modifications and HH cooks.

Do you have a arched top opening?
I don't recall if that is specific to the newer 18.5" or the 22"
Either way you could just crack the lid a bit to do the same thing.
HTH

Tim

Thanks guys, I figured it was easy, every post I read before was kinda vague, used a spatula Saturday but I am thinking about adding a vent.

I have a really simple solution for propping the door open on my 18" WSM.... and its FREE!
IMG_2936.JPG

I just set the lid on just a little off the rim and the fire gets pretty hot. I realize that doesn't answer your question, but it does give you another option for getting the temp up.

I took a picture hangar, you know the little metal thing that you pound a nail thru diagonally to hang a pic on drywall, and bent it like an "S" shape. When I need more air I do like the guys say above. Flip the door upside down, hand the piece of metal right on the wsm and put the door right in it! I have tried using wood, tongs, charcoal chimneys and this seems best to me. Wind will never blow it out like other unstable methods.

Originally posted by Eric Michaud:
Thanks for all the ideas, I will try these for the mean time but eventually I am going to add a vent.Hate losing smoke.

Eric, IMHO good choice. I have added 2 and it is relatively easy. There are no down sides. You get 3 in a pkg from Weber. Use one for a template by bending the stops flat. If you need any help just drop me an Email.

Greetings......I'm a newbie to a 18 1/2 WMS with a DigiQ 2 DX. I've been reading a lot about "Low and Slow". I cook about everything I've cooked, ribs, brisker and a butt on about 225-235 degrees. Can someone tell me what would need to be cooked higher, and for what reason ?

Thanks in advance, and I hope this is not a stupid question, but I'm trying to learn a lot more about how to cook good tender meat.

Hello George and welcome to the best site on the internet. Everyone has their own opinion about what should be cooked at what temp, over time and some smokes under your belt you will have your ideas. Certain cooks like babybacks and sometimes Boston butt I like to do at a higher temp, heck from what I have read some only do brisket at high heat. I don't know, haven't tried it yet.

There is tons of great advice on here, so you are in the right place. One of the best things I learned early on from Kevin Kruger is when you try different things as far as technique, only change one thing.
Some do a cook then change the temp, smoke wood, and dry rub. If you only try one different part it is easier to figure out what works for you and what doesn't. Have a good one.

Eric

[/QUOTE] Eric, IMHO good choice. I have added 2 and it is relatively easy. There are no down sides. You get 3 in a pkg from Weber. Use one for a template by bending the stops flat. If you need any help just drop me an Email.[/QUOTE]

I forgot to ask you Mark, but did you add 1 top and 1 bottom? I was planning to start with 1 at the top and see how that goes.

Thanks,
Eric

The method of drilling/installing bolts on the door is a great idea, but I used the same principle with a couple of self tapping sheet metal screws. Just quicker with the same results. I did drill a small pilot hole where I wanted them though. Great Idea!

I am a cheapo, I admit it. I do not do a lot of expensive mods on mine. Just flip the door upside down and put it in the wsm. Then I used little picture hangar. (You know the ones you put a nail thru). I bent it in the shape of an "S" ..I hang this on the door frame of the wsm and the upside down door fits in that! It never falls out because of wind or whatever. I have tried other ways like tongs or wood chunks but it falls out half of the time, but not with the little hangar! I use this when my charcoal is getting down near the end and I dont want to add any charcoal but I need the heat higher.

Thanks, Glenn, for answering for me. I have been away at a comp this weekend and without the aid of a computer. Glad I didn't bring it as it probably would have melted. A bit hot for a coastal guy.

Mark

Back