Proper Serving Breads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Rempe

TVWBB All-Star
I sent my pork butt pics to my cousin(pro smoker by profession) and he said he was surprised I did all that work only to put the PP on a hot dog bun!!

Is there a proper serving methid to PP? Kaiser, slice of white bread, hamburg bun etc.!!?!?!?! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Greg, there's no wrong way to do it. I've seen it most often in a hamburger bun (and I've heard debates about sesame seeds vs. no sesame seeds). But I actually prefer a hot dog bun because it's less messy (if you don't fully separate the halves). If you have bread that's too crusty, I think you interfere with the delicate texture of the meat, but beyond that, anything goes.

Greg

I like to use hamburger buns. I also cheat. I like to scoop out some of the bread on the top bun. It acts like an upside down bowl, allowing you to get more pp on the sandwich without having it fall out.

We sometimes use hamburger buns, but usually use the sandwich rolls sold at Costco. We also put provalone cheese on our pp sandwiches. That may be a no-no to the purists, but it tastes great to us.

Hot dog buns, hamburger buns, even plain old Wonder Bread, is perfectly acceptable. There is no right or wong. What do you like?

Personally, I avoid heartier breads like whole grain, sourdough, or rye, but that is only because I think it masks some of that glorious rich smoky flavor. Anyone else is free to disagree and do what makes them feel good.

Chet

Wow,

You really do never stop learning with this hobby/pastime/sport/manic obsession, do you?

I have never considered using a hot dog bun until reading this, but you're absolutely right abut the superior functionality if it hasn't been split all the way.

I think next time I make PP I'm going to try it with those oversized buns for use with ballpark-style franks.

Thanks, folks!

Put the pork on what you like. What is the difference between a hot dog bun and a hamburger bun anyways? Same dough, different shape!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeffr hode:
How about a pita ? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif (kidding)
Pita Pulled Pork.
Say that three times fast. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PitaPulledPork
PitaPulledPork
PitaPulledPork

There! I did it! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Cheapest buns you can find.
Something else that is good with both brisket and pulled pork is fresh french bread, cut into little sandwitch size portions.
Minced fresh garlic mixed with melted butter, basted then broiled til golden brown.
YUMMY ! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Or finger food. I brought my latest shoulder to a party, unwrapped it, basked in the ewws and awes, pulled it, set out some sauce and let the carnivores descend and devour.

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark F.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeffr hode:
How about a pita ? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif (kidding)
Pita Pulled Pork.
Say that three times fast. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PitaPulledPork
PitaPulledPork
PitaPulledPork

There! I did it! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ThatThatThat

You were close Mark hehe

For sammiches, I usually use hamburger buns. Now what I like to do, as Bob suggested, is eat as "finger food" with a big bowl of hot hushpuppies to wash the pork down. Hushpuppies have a great ability to soak up some of our eastern NC vinegar sauces and give a nice kick when you follow up a big bite of pulled pork with it! Yummy!

we enjoyed it substituted for bacon in a BLT; the PPLT with reheated meat on a toasted onion kaiser

I always offer up some kind of potato rolls (square or round). They've got a nicer flavor to 'em than plain, I think, plus they're more golden colored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back