Propane Manifold verfication

Samuel

TVWBB Wizard
So put this manifold on my Silver C. Do the flames look like it is an actual propane manifold. I salvage the manifold off of a curb alert witch I thought was a propane grill, but I can not remember. It had a hose connection that was cut off with a quick connect which I put on a new regulator on.

Manifold (1).jpgSilver C fire box pic 3.jpg

Reason for asking is the middle burner has a spike in it. Maybe because it just was to dirty, for the middle burner was very slow to start. They definitely need cleaning.

Silver C fire box pic 1.jpg

Last edited:
Yah, the flames could be a lot more even, but they look right otherwise. Cleaning them up or replacing them would make them burn much more evenly.

If you have a 3/64" drill bit laying around, it will fit inside a NG orifice. If it doesn't quite fit inside, it is an LP orifice.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will get new burners, since it my personal grill and clean and save these for something else.

I agree with Larry. I can see from the flames they are dirty and rusted through as all the flame jets are individual and don't run together. They just need to be taken out and cleaned. Take them out, use some Simple Green or similar and a heavy duty steal wool pad, Then shoot the hose inside and dry standing up.

I feel that someone should warn you about the crossover tube --- by the looks of the pic it is well on its way to being brittle - take great care cleaning it or it may crumble in your hands. A small wire brush is best for it followed by a pick or a small flat screwdriver to scrape/punch the holes clean...... tedious, but worthwhile. It may be needed on the main tubes too if there is rust bridging the slots.

An older crossover would never survive a wire wheel cleaning.

I angle grind wire wheel them all the time. I figure if they won't survive, they probably need replacing anyway. If a tab falls off, which does happen once in a while, I have a welder and can just spot weld them back on.
Being able to weld definitely opens up a lot more possibilities as far as fixing these old grills and their parts. I was able to find someone to weld up a broken frame for me recently which saved me from having to get yet another grill to finish a project. I save the tab-less crossover tubes, and I have a few, as back ups. I can always wire them back on in an emergency.

Honestly, it isn't that tough to do basic stuff. The biggest thing is to have someone to give you a little guidance to get started, then it is just a matter of practicing and experimenting. Wish I had gotten a welder 30 years ago. Ohhhhhh, the things I could have/would have build and repaired over the years. It has been a huge help with grills not to mention the other random applications.

I stay clear of the tab and do that area by hand. I’ve done a couple in a bench grinder with wire wheel and they come out fine but I’ve seen several that I wouldn’t even attempt.

Back