Propane leak?

Bradley Bruns

TVWBB Fan
I have a strong feeling that my Genesis Silver B is leaking propane. Not sure how or where.

I've been using this grill for 6 years now, in all sorts of weather. My grilling habits have not really changed. Yet starting last fall (4 'tanks' ago), I seemed to run out of propane much faster than usual. I didn't keep a log or anything, but it seemed like the tanks were only lasting half as long. This is with 2 different tanks, filled up at the place I've always gone to. I know sometimes they don't top them off all the way, but like I said, I'm seeing around a 50% difference in the time it takes to go through a tank.

After grilling I am always sure to close the valve all the way. And as I mentioned, I rotate between two tanks, and I doubt that both tanks would suddenly have leaky valves. I tried the soap bubble trick on everything between the tank and the grill knobs. No bubbles.

So I am stumped.

Anyone have any thoughts or insights?

Bradley

Long ago I sold and serviced LPG (propane) appliances and vehicle conversions and I used a commercial leak detector which was a soap solution. I have since then tried a soap solution made from Dawn and it doesn't work even almost as well.
Go to a plumbing supply and buy a small bottle of the commercial stuff. It comes with a dobber which puts a smooth amount of solution on each connection.

Probably it will be either the vent on the regulator or perhaps the hose at one of the connection, or lastly the valves themselves.

If it is the regulator it has to be replaced. The very best regulators are the brand REGO, all others or just not as good.

Hope you find it!

The common cause for am increased gas useage if both tanks are the same is the regulator on the hose. After 6 years I would replace it first.

Cheers

Thanks for your replies gentlemen.
I just replaced the regulator/hose and I've got a fresh tank of fuel. Hopefully that will do the trick.

If after all this you continue to have the problem, try buying propane from a different vendor and see if you get the same result. I hate to be a conspiracy theorist but the economy is tough and people are doing whatever they can to make a buck.

There was a thread last year detailing how retailers were filling tanks with less fuel inorder to keep the price the same. That could also be inpacting the amount of burn time from each tank.

After you refill the tank weigh it on a bathroom scale. it should weigh 36lbs -- 20lbs of propane in a 16lb tank. If it weighs less, you're not getting a full tank.

Bill

Back