prolonging a cook

Nathan Bauer

TVWBB Fan
I put two butts on last night around 11. My plan was to have them done around 11:30-12:00 today. One is about done the other needs a little more time. Is there any reason I couldn't pull and foil the one that's about done off for an hour and then put it back on? Any food safety issues with doing this?

Side note-Doing over night cooks with a newborn that hates sleeping is exausting and something I don't recommend.

Yes you can do that; no safety issues. Not sure why you'd want to though. Simply pull the first one out when it's done, wrap and rest it. Stick it in a cooler or in your microwave with towels, for its rest. It'll hold fine as long as it takes for the other to finish.

My plan was to hold them while I cooked a brisket. My hold time is going to be about 5-6 hours already. I already feel I'm pushing it with a hold time that long so I didn't want to make it any longer.

Ah, I see. If you're not sure you can swing the longer hold you can do as you mention. No need to wrap the butt though - that will just kick it into residual cooking mode. Leave it unwrapped. Return it to the cooker within an hour or two.

There is no set time. The operative concern is keeping all parts of the meat above 130?, the top end of the Danger Zone. If needing a long hold, monitor the meat's temp. I suggest monitoring at the meat's surface or, if you wish, the surface and the interior. As long as temps remain >130 there is no time limit.

If monitoring and the temps near the DZ, you can place the meat in the oven at its lowest setting (often 170 or so).

If any part of the meat falls below 130 there is no imminent danger, but the meat should be consumed within the next few hours and none should be fridged for later consumption.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
If needing a long hold, monitor the meat's temp. I suggest monitoring at the meat's surface or, if you wish, the surface and the interior. As long as temps remain >130 there is no time limit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
How does one measure at the surface...I don't have an infrared thermometer? When resting butts in a cooler I will usually leave the meat probe in the butt, then unplug it from the "meat input" on the ET-73 and plug it into the "smoker input". I then set a low alarm for the "smoker" to 140*. Run the probe wire out of the cooler and temps can be monitored without having to open the cooler to do so.

I've never had it go below 140* in the times I've had to hold them but if it would, I'd get them in an oven set to its lowest temp, as you recommend.

Good stuff, guys. I've done this several times, but left the probe deeper. It recently occurred to me that I need to probe more to the surface. The meat never went below 155* in two hours (heavily wrapped in foil, towels and in a good cooler), so no issues there. But it just makes sense to be careful and your input should be known to all grillers/smokers who want to hold the temp on their meat after removal from the heat.

Rich

All though it depends on how one wraps and holds the meat(s) in question - how many butts, say, how much space is left in the cooler, how well packed it is, whether the hot butts are touching each other or not, and so forth, after the early period of the rest where juices redistribute and surface temps drop because they are no longer exposed to the heat of the cooker, it's the meat's surface temp - especially the surfaces that are not butted up against the sides of the cooler or another hot butt - that is, imo, the best place to monitor.

Two reasons for this: One, these more exposed surfaces are most likely to cool more quickly than the surfaces that are jammed up against the side or bottom of the cooler or up against another hot butt, and two, it's on the surfaces that post-cooking pathogenic bacterial growth is likely to occur*.

To monitor with a probe (it should be an instant read, digital probe; bimetal analog therms are useless for this, as they are for nearly all safety issues), either before wrapping or after, after cooler placement, stick the probe into the meat parallel to the surface, just under the surface enough so that the probes stays in okay. Because tip-sensitive probes need only a small portion of the tip inserted, you'll get a reading just under the surface but close enough to it to be meaningful.

Kevin

* Items that are cooked to internal temps well past the point where pasteurization occurs - like butts, chuck roasts, briskets, etc. - are highly unlikely to contain internal pathogenic bacteria after cooking, if they did at all. It's the handling of these items after cooking that potentially exposes their surfaces to contamination, and that's the place growth of these bacteria becomes most likely.

Back