Project: Kettle Table

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys.

Earthquakes are always a concern here. The height of that un-mortared wall concerns me. I might lower the brick firewall by a couple of courses. In fact, I will use landscape block adhesive to secure the bricks once I'm sure of the layout.

Originally posted by George L:
Thanks guys.

Earthquakes are always a concern here. The height of that un-mortared wall concerns me. I might lower the brick firewall by a couple of courses. In fact, I will use landscape block adhesive to secure the bricks once I'm sure of the layout.
George that table is a piece of junk...ah please give me your address and I will send my sons over to pick it up and ah..take it to the dump, and I will be kind enough to leave my OTG to you since yours without the handles are going to be hard to use
icon_biggrin.gif

seriously, did you think of leaving the handles on and let them sit on the table top and not have the wood touching the kettle for air circulation? I would like to do something like that for my kettle but I have to keep it at the same height as I am in a wheelie chair.

oh and the San Andreas fault is burping so dealing with the bricks is a good Idea
icon_wink.gif

* yes boys and girls I am kidding
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by Dan {dutch oven Dan}:
seriously, did you think of leaving the handles on and let them sit on the table top and not have the wood touching the kettle for air circulation?

Hi neighbor!
As I addressed a few days earlier in this thread all wood surfaces facing the kettle are covered with cement boards and tin baffles. The kettle itself is completely supported by the cement/tile tabletop only. No wood comes in contact with the kettle. I'm pretty comfortable with the heat situation for now. Only time will tell if anything further needs to be done.
icon_biggrin.gif

i use cardboard as a heat barrier. my kettle gets super hot at times and i have not seen the cardboard even get singed. so i see no reason why what george l has done would be a problem. maybe even overkill, nothing wrong with that though.

Originally posted by Chris Gallucci:
Curious if there's been any updates to this project. I really like this and is similar to something I'm planning to start on myself.
Not to hijack the thread but if you mean mine, I did not take any "after shots". It was stained and sealed.
WeberGrill_0023.jpg

Aluminum flashing and aluminum door strip to reduce heat near wood.
WeberGrill_0022.jpg

There is a lid hanger now on the side. The two handles were removed (see top pic).
WeberGrill_00033.jpg

1/2" concrete backerboard to reduce heat on wood frame.
backerboard-1.jpg

Actually, I meant the OP; but I appreciate your response. I've seen another kettle table made of wood on the internet, but the guy uses a concrete ring as an insulator.

<STRIKE>I'll see if I can dig it up...</STRIKE>

Here it is...
http://lumberjocks.com/projects/34817

Hi, I am the OP and I've since dismantled the table due to the tile mortar breaking up from the intense heat which can build up on one side of the kettle from banking of the coals.
In fact, I needed that corner area for building of my brick oven anyway where the table sat.
If I were to to this over again I would create an an inch or so of air gap around the perimeter of the kettle.
Any portland based material will eventually break down after repeated intense heating and cooling cycles. (something I learned during my oven build)

Originally posted by George L:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Gallucci:
Actually, I meant the OP; but I appreciate your response. I've seen another kettle table made of wood on the internet, but the guy uses a concrete ring as an insulator.

<STRIKE>I'll see if I can dig it up...</STRIKE>

Here it is...
http://lumberjocks.com/projects/34817

Hi, I am the OP and I've since dismantled the table due to the tile mortar breaking up from the intense heat which can build up on one side of the kettle from banking of the coals.
In fact, I needed that corner area for building of my brick oven anyway where the table sat.
If I were to to this over again I would create an an inch or so of air gap around the perimeter of the kettle. (unless the table top was granite or stainless steel top, etc..)
Any portland based material will eventually break down after repeated intense heating and cooling cycles. (something I learned during my oven build) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to hear that George.

I really like the "hefty" look of your table so I'm going to build out the frame in a similar style.

By the time I get done, I hope to have a counter top figured out. It's looking like an airgap is going to be necessary.

Sorry to hear that George.

I really like the "hefty" look of your table so I'm going to build out the frame in a similar style.

By the time I get done, I hope to have a counter top figured out. It's looking like an airgap is going to be necessary.

Thanks, the framework of the table itself was nice, absolutely no damage there.
The air gap should be easy to do as you can utilize the existing handle brackets on the kettle as mounting points.

Well I figured I'd post my table creation. I did this last June. The idea came to me because I never seemed to have enough work space. I had a performer and another 22.5 kettle. A friend of mine stopped by one day and dropped off two more 22.5" kettles, that he got from someone and didn't want. I got the idea to build a table that had two kettles and with a large work space that would sit next to my performer. I constructed it all out of green treated wood. The top is cement backerboard and ceramic tile. I wanted a smooth workspace that could easily be cleaned. It has been working out great so far. I named my table "MESA AZUL"

dsc05794c.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-10-29

dsc05795b.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-10-29

dsc05793k.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-10-29

dsc05792sy.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-10-29

dsc05789r.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-10-29

dsc05790u.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-10-29

dsc05791zb.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-10-29
As Always Phoebe likes to help.

I added the lid bale to both of them so I would have some place to put the lid. I want to add the ash catcher to the grill on the left to make cleaning easier. As always it's a work in progress. So far it has served me well....oh and Phoebe too.

Brian

looks really nice ! but to be picky, it does need some finishing to the wood frame. maybe tiles or just some black paint. i say this cuz its the first thing i reacted to.

I still need to sand off the grout I got on the legs. I don't want to paint it, but I could stain it or something. Next spring project. It's getting cold here. I'll have to cover them soon for the winter. I do agree I need to do something.

Brian

Brian that grilling station to me is a dream come true,...just beautiful. Phoebe is a sweet little girl, what a beautiful face and markings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back