Problems with SmokeFires

Update: The first attempt with the new auger was a success. Reached 300 in less than 15 minutes. Was feeding well. I find it odd as the old auger moved!!?? Time will tell.... Kind of annoying to change but doable.

Update: The first attempt with the new auger was a success. Reached 300 in less than 15 minutes. Was feeding well. I find it odd as the old auger moved!!?? Time will tell.... Kind of annoying to change but doable.
So what exactly did you change out. Black chute? Just the auger?

Bruno is that pellet dust on that butt? I don't get any or at least not enuf to notice on my PB
I don’t think that is pellet dust. I have gotten a lot of dust in my chamber but almost none on my food at all since getting the Smokefire.

I don’t think that is pellet dust. I have gotten a lot of dust in my chamber but almost none on my food at all since getting the Smokefire.
Haha, no I was drinking a little bit and thought it would be a good idea to add a little more rub after i sprayed with water the last time.
Good catch!! I hated that pic cause it did look weird.
I have never noticed ash on my food but I know it does fly around in there at super high temps.

Kevin, I have been following it pretty close and the issues people mention seem to be similar between the two. I have an EX6. No major issues for me before the big software update.. Then the software update bricked my original controller, so Weber quickly replaced it and I was back in business. I did also have them send the ramp to help the hopper feeding issue. Don't consider the hopper feeding a major issue for me. I've found that on a low and slow cook at ~225, if I fill the hopper all the way before I go to bed (and I kind of create a pellet mound over on the auger side of the hopper) it gets 7-8 hours. Same experience on three overnight cooks so far - all with Weber or Lumberjack pellets. For all three cooks, when I checked in the AM there was a pretty good bridge, but still fuel going in. On overnights, I use a Thermoworks Smoke to set a high and low alarm (I am hoping this functionality comes to the Weber app sooner or later). I set the alarms for peace of mind, but have not woken to an alarm yet. Can't say the same for my old WSM + Pitmaster IQ110 combo, although that was a sweet setup too. I have not called for the new welded auger chute yet. If I do that, I will probably remove the hopper ramp they sent to get my 2# back. I've had the LX6 since February. Really happy with it and the food it produces. I'm cooking on it more than I did on my genesis and wsm combined and the family loves it. Good luck!

Eugene,
Thanks for your input and knowledge. This the kind of info I am looking for some of the other media just like to blow up and talk down anything new, but folks like you ,and others on this site,and other good sites are willing to work with Weber and help improve the product that seems to have excellant promise. Hats off to you and Weber for working together and listening to there customers. Keep BBQING.

Back