Problems with ribs?

Steve St

TVWBB Member
Have tried ribs 3 times. Each an absolute disaster. First 2 cooks were with enhanced ribs from grocery store. Why do they even sell these? Threw them all out.
Last attempt was pork spare ribs. Removed the membrane and rubbed. Smoked for 6hrs at 225 until meat had pulled back about .5". Bend test tore just barely and I took them off to rest.
When I cut them there was still blood around the joints and the meat was still very pink. Put them back on for another 2 hrs. Finally tried to eat and found they were tough as boot leather. Overcooked? Undercooked?
What next? Trim St. Louis and try 321? Smoke at higher temp? Never have been all that interested in foiling but if that's what it takes, ok.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Steve

I'm not a pro but it sounds like the temp is off and is cooking at a lower temp than you think it is cooking at or they would not be bloody after 6 hours. I'd also guess that they ended up overcooked but let's wait and see what the pros have to say.

IMO they are undercooked. 225 seems low, I cook mine at 250 and have been playing with temps at 275 and both have great success with the only difference is the 275 cooks a lot quicker.

I've also just tried foiling though I'm not totally sold that they taste better, I find I overcook them easier but they look prettier. Personally I can care less how they look as long as they are tasty.

Just make a weekend a rib weekend and try two methods on Saturday at 250. Sunday try another two methods at 275. You'll be surprised how much progress you make with taking mental notes on each cook.

Sounds undercooked to me, too, but I can't imagine ribs being undercooked cooked at 225 for six hours. I often cook this low.

Are you using a WSM? If not, what kind of cooker and therm? Where are you taking the temperature? Did you foil the ribs at all?

IMO, the best way to test for tender ribs is to stick a probe or skewer between two bones in the middle of each slab. If the ribs are tender, the probe will go through very easily with no resistance. How much the bones pull back cannot be relied upon as an accurate indicator of how tender the ribs are or are not.
Foil is a tool that many use as it quickens the cook and helps tenderize the ribs. I don't use it, but many sing its virtues. In any case, don't go by the amount of time the ribs are in the smoker. The necessary time can vary depending on temperature, foiling, etc. Check with the poke test. You already know the difference between raw meat and cooked meat. Try to stick a probe through raw meat. There will be considerable resistance, but not when the meat is cooked through and is tender

You might want to invest in a Thermometer like the Maverick to monitor your smoker temp and a quick or instant read thermometer Here to check the doneness of your meat.

Thanks for all the responses.
Next rib smoke things I'll do.
1. Make sure I take cooker temp readings (maverick 732) close to the ribs.
2. Run smoker (offset) or WSM at 250
3. No foil. Just don't like the idea and not looking for fob.
4. Use a probe to check tender. Just haven't had success with the bend or pull back test.
5. Will trim St. Louis style. Don't like the knuckles anyway.
Cullen
Used offset for the last cook. WSM for two before. They were the enhanced so don't know what they would have been like. Monitored temp with maverick 732 but at a fair distance away from the ribs. Still bloody after ~6hrs. Probably over after additional 2.
Thanks again everyone
Steve

Unless your maverick is WAY off, after 6 hours, there should still be no blood. Being much below 225 for an extended period of time without the coals going out is a feat in itself, especially if that wasn't your goal from the outset. Temp check your therm with boiling water to make sure though. The enhaced ribs will remain with a pink color, like ham, so it's possible that is what you were seeing? I run mine at 275ish for spares, and that rarely has me exceeding 4.5-5.hours.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Undercooked? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes.

And yes, I'd suggest higher. I cook at ~350 but you don't have to go that high. But there is no need to extend the cook. Go for 275, 250 minimum.

Back