Problem with propane?

Jim Strickland

TVWBB Fan
I have an Kenmore gas grill that is approximately 5 yrs old. Yesterday and today it rained. Yesterday l cooked hamburgers on it and had no problem getting it up to 500 degrees. I left the cover off over night. Today l cooked brats and l couldn't get it heated past 370 degrees and the burners did not look as if they were burning correctly. The tank was filled Thursday. We had a thunder storm warning out so l was wondering if pressure could have been playing havoc.

Last edited:
I wouldn't think so. Might be the regulator or OPD. There's a safety that's supposed to kick in to reduce or stop the flow of gas like if the hose was cut between the tank & grill.

What I try to do is turn the gas off at the grill & then at the tank each time when I'm done, and when I go to use it again I open the tank & then the grill's valves.

For the Weber gassers, Weber recommends closing the propane tank valve and then the valves on the grill. Let stand for at least 60 seconds then turn on the tank valve, wait 60 seconds then open the grill valve and light. Don't know if this works for a Kenmore but would be worth a try.

That said, I recently had to replace the regulator on my gasser. Don't know how old it was but when replaced, all was good. Good luck.

Thanks Clint and Bob. I disconncted the tank and put it back together. Opened the tank then the burners and fired it up. Works great! I believe that this Kenmore is a Weber made product without the warranty. I don't use the gasser much but when l do it's usually raining. l've never experienced this problem before so l thought l'd ask. Thanks again.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but I don't think weber has made any Kenmore products for Sears? I owned a Kenmore before I rehabbed my 2 older Weber's.

It (the Kenmore ) was decent quality but nowhere near the build quality of a new or older weber. My Kenmore lasted about 5 years then was unrepairable. My brother also currently has a top of the line Kenmore and it's also been decent but isn't up to weber standards

You know Jim, you could start searching Craigslist for an older Genesis and rehab it. Not only would you save money, but you would get a lot of pleasure by saving a wonderful grill. My wife just told me that when we build my covered BBQ area in the back yard, our 20 year old Genesis will stay on the back porch so she has easy access to it. Just a thought but the older Genesis units are better than the new ones IMHO. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I have a banjo burner that uses a high volume of propane and I run into this problem a lot. There is a safety valve in the tank and if there is a high flow of gas it closes reducing the flow of propane. The safety valve is there in case there actually is a leak, shutting off the gas from the tank.What I do is a couple or 3 hours before using I try and light my burner. If it works great, if that valve in the tank gives me fits I turn of the gas at the burner but leave the valve on the tank open. Seems to work, my guess is that the gas in the line past the regulator is equalizing so when I do try and light my burner there is not a big rush of propane.

You were right Greg! I guess I'll save my money for a new Genesis. Bob, yes l know and l'd like to do it but l have been told by my wife to pick my hobbies wisely! Lol! I guess l won't push it too much. Thanks for the advice John.

Back