Probe port grommet for WSK

MichaelM

TVWBB Super Fan
My WSK has a 1" ID port just below the ignitor tube that comes with a press fit metal plug. I want to use that port for a wired temp probe for deck temp so I popped out the metal plug and bought a LavaLock rubber temp probe grommet specifically for a 1" ID hole and it is too big. A true lesson in frustration trying to get it to stay but I gave up and returned it.

I have a probe port from my WSM (two came in the package) but it is far smaller than 1"

Anyone have a recommendation for a probe grommet that fits the WSK?

Why not use the LavaLock grommet, just use a step drill bit to increase the diameter of the hole.

Temp probe cables between the lid and body gaskets really is the best way to go. Wouldn't running the cables through the atc fan port be a little close to the fire? Maybe I'm missing something here.

Gasket tape on the Weber port plug?
Michael, I do approve of your avatar! You were kind enough to send me some vent handles and I didn’t install them right away so, I put them somewhere “safe” and I’ll be jiggered if I can find them now! They will turn up I know but, Doggies if. I can lay hands on them when I have the drill out!

Why not use the LavaLock grommet, just use a step drill bit to increase the diameter of the hole.
Thought of that but dismissed it for a few reasons.. Can't believe there isn't a grommet that will fit [read: I am stubborn] and two it high up behind the flame ignition box and just below the double walled section so getting up step drill in there straight in from the outside or inside isn't going to work.

Temp probe cables between the lid and body gaskets really is the best way to go. Wouldn't running the cables through the atc fan port be a little close to the fire? Maybe I'm missing something here.
hmmm.... hadn't considered that it might be too close to heat. I use the SNS basket 90% of the time so there's plenty of real estate away from the direct heat. I have been running the cable under the lid, but the gasket on the WSK leaks a ton when I do so.

Gasket tape on the Weber port plug?
Michael, I do approve of your avatar! You were kind enough to send me some vent handles and I didn’t install them right away so, I put them somewhere “safe” and I’ll be jiggered if I can find them now! They will turn up I know but, Doggies if. I can lay hands on them when I have the drill out!
Right now I am using a wad of HD foil since I tried drilling out the OE plug unsuccessfully. Plan was to install the adjustable probe right into the plug, but even with a shop full of tools, securing the little plug so I could drill the hole, proved beyond me.

I have that avatar for a while. I think I did it after an exchange with you.

I could probably pull together another set of those rubber handles. I find them the best since the rubber doesn't get hot and they are much lower profile than the other DIY options I had seen. My other hobby is restoration and upkeep of an older Jeep Wrangler. My parts bin is too well organized and I have purchased and lost and then repurchased many parts over the years many of which showed up long after their replacements were installed!! I feel your pain.

I KNOW those parts are in a very well considered place but, since I don’t remember if I was drinking beer, bourbon, or brandy, I’m not sure which “reasonable“ spot they might be! Thank God I wasn’t drinking Granny’s corn squeezins they might have been stashed in the old Jeep that we sold to our electrician!

I run wires between the lid and the base. I think it would be a pain to try and run them in the hole in the bottom.

A fan like a themoworks Billows mounts in the hole easily.

Hi folks, new here but have been lurking for a bit. Will post introduction over in the intros thread. My question of this thread is if anyone has found a good removable bung for that fan port hole. I've got a Thermoworks Billows that I pull out for long cooks where I am going to be away from grill extended periods and works great. But I don't like leaving the Billows on the Weber all the time, did that with my first one and just had to replace it. Probably only use it in about 10% of my cooks would prefer to keep it safe and out of the weather when not in use. But I lost my hole port cover. Contacted Weber and they don't have a replacement part.

Searching online I found this guy. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2559898233...VxE3GuiHsAuhMFGWo%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2349624

Think it might work but there are quite a few similar items with slightly different sizes would really like to know if anyone else has found something off the shelf they can verify fits. @MichaelM your points in posts 5 and 8 above matched my thinking quite well. Prefer not to make any new holes!

I'm not 100% sure how hole plugs are measured. The outside diameter of the plug is 1". The size of the hole is 7/8"

SS would be nice but for less than $3 I'd go with nickel plated.

I’m not sure that’s going to handle heat very well, it would be a shame to have the rubber thing melt down the side of a WSM.
I think Dan has the better solutio.

Thanks @DanHoo I will try the Hilmann 7/8 version from Amazon...I had mis-measured the hole but rechecked and you are right 7/8 should do the trick.

@Timothy F. Lewis I'm pretty sure some sort of high temp silicone would be ok in this location, the billows port is some sort of foam material, probably similar to gasket material, and I see quite a few silicone probe grommets on the market but hope was to find one that fit perfectly without too much trial and error.

Thanks @DanHoo I will try the Hilmann 7/8 version from Amazon...I had mis-measured the hole but rechecked and you are right 7/8 should do the trick.

@Timothy F. Lewis I'm pretty sure some sort of high temp silicone would be ok in this location, the billows port is some sort of foam material, probably similar to gasket material, and I see quite a few silicone probe grommets on the market but hope was to find one that fit perfectly without too much trial and error.
Well Eric, welcome to the fun! Personal tweaks rarely stop, and it’s not as expensive as restoring vintage instruments or cars!
I hope you have a great time with your project!

Back