Probe Grommets

Bob F

I checked the cajunbandit.com website and they now have larger 3/8" grommets for probes....and I got an email from their customer service saying that the Maverick ET-372's probes WILL fit through the larger grommets. I know it may cost a few dollars more than some of the DIY probe mods but it is a whole lot quicker and easier to just order these....IMHO. Just thought I would let folks know.

I ordered the 22.5 upgrade kit with the 3/8 grommets and can confirm that the ET-372's probes with fit no problem.

Fwiw. The 1/4 grommets "middle brass part" fits the sensor until the sensor flares out at the top.

Now, if you just wanted to use the 1/4 round metal gromment without the middle brass part, it will fit just fine.

Did you have to make the hole any bigger or did it fit right in? I'm thinking about getting these but I do not want to expand any of the holes on the WSM. Any pictures?

Richard, I just got mine in the other day from Cajun Bandit, and messed around with the fit on my kitchen counter with my 732, that I also just got in... I never took them outside to see if they would fit on wsm. Sorry for the confusion.

Fast forward..I took both the 1/4 and 3/8 gromments outside (after my post above) and took out one screw from the wsm (where top rack goes) and there's no way it was going to go without drilling.. "Unless" I'm missing something with the 1/4, or where to put it.. I couldn't get it to fit

Now with the 3/8's you have to drill a larger hole without question.

Hope this helps.

I love all of the mods that are listed in all of the posts but for one reason or another I do not want to compromise the porcelain finish at all. I know many drill holes for the grommets, handles etc., and finish it off with high heat Rustoleum but I just think that the rust will surface somehow in the future.I think I may drill a hole thru the top of the access door and figure something out in terms of how to open the door and not have trouble with the probe wire and being able to move around the coals and add wood. For the time being I will continue to put it thru the lid and middle section. I do not like running it thru the vent on the dome.

new here...lots of info

does the thermometer probe laying on the grate next to the meat read the temp of the grate or the temp of the chamber...or are they one in the same?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan Elkins:
new here...lots of info

does the thermometer probe laying on the grate next to the meat read the temp of the grate or the temp of the chamber...or are they one in the same? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the answer may depend on exactly where the sensor in the probe is located related to the grill metal. But my experience is that with the probe on the grate, the temps can be all over. Others have recommended isolating the probe in a potato. Maverick provides a bracket to hold the probe off the grate.

Just as the temp will be altered in an inconsistent manner if the cooker probe is near a large cut of meat, I think you can expect the same if it is laying on the grate.

Rich

Edit: Richard, you may be right, but the approach is reasonable and the "seasoning" on the cooker will just add another layer of protection. But I'll let you know if I see any problems (not sarcasm, just a real attempt at some humor
icon_cool.gif
).

Rich

I suspect there is probably a reason not to do it this way, but for the ET-732, has anyone tried running the plug-in side of the wire through the hole from the inside of the WSM instead of running the probe side through from the outside of the WSM? I may have to try that this evening when I get home. Also, if I MUST drill, I like the idea of going through the inexpensive door instead of going through the porcelain finish. Maverick is supposed to come out with longer probes for the 732 next month, so that might make it easier to go through the door.

OK, I looked at the probes at lunch, and the plug is much wider than the probe, so scratch the idea of trying to get the plug through the hole instead of the probe.

Back