Pro Q stackers won't fit

LDThornton

TVWBB Fan
I bought two Pro Q stackers for my WSM and they wouldn't fit the lid or each other. I took the WSM lid and both stackers to a heat/air place and they krinkle rolled the top edge of both stackers. Both stackes now fit the lid and they also fit into each other. Problem solved. Just wanted to pass this on in case anyone else ever had this problem.

Wow, quick thinking, yeah, but if they didn't fit, why not make the manufacturer, or whomever you bought them from, rectify the problem? I had considered buying one, but not if I have to spend money make their product work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Howard Barlow:
Wow, quick thinking, yeah, but if they didn't fit, why not make the manufacturer, or whomever you bought them from, rectify the problem? I had considered buying one, but not if I have to spend money make their product work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I paid $21.95 for one and $26.95 for the other. It would have cost $16.95 each to send them back. Getting the edge crimped didn't cost anything. I wrote to the manufacturer thru their website 3 days ago and he has not replied. I think I came out way ahead of the curve doing it the way that I did.IMHO

I was one of the first to order the ProStacker. Initially the concept seemed great. However, concept doesn't equate to a good end product.

The ProStacker was not made to work correctly on the WSM. The WSM is designed so that the gunk that forms on the inside stays on the inside. With the ProStacker, unless you flip it over, and fiddle with it, the gunk will run down the OUTSIDE of the WSM. The lip on the top of the WSM center section is not a part of the ProStacker, so the lid of the WSM goes outside the ProStacker. This also makes for an extremely tight fit of the WSM lid to the ProStacker. So much so that it can be extremely difficult to separate the two.

My ProStacker is sitting on my deck unused.

There IS one great feature of the ProStacker: The handles on the sides work wonderfully on the center section of the WSM. You can put these handles on and still get the WSM cover on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
LD, what did it cost you to get it crimped at the heating and air place? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They didn't charge me anything. Nice people... Take the WSM lid with you when you get the stacker crimped to be sure it fits. They had to run my stackers thru the crimper twice each before everything fit well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Ferguson:
I was one of the first to order the ProStacker. Initially the concept seemed great. However, concept doesn't equate to a good end product.

The ProStacker was not made to work correctly on the WSM. The WSM is designed so that the gunk that forms on the inside stays on the inside. With the ProStacker, unless you flip it over, and fiddle with it, the gunk will run down the OUTSIDE of the WSM. The lip on the top of the WSM center section is not a part of the ProStacker, so the lid of the WSM goes outside the ProStacker. This also makes for an extremely tight fit of the WSM lid to the ProStacker. So much so that it can be extremely difficult to separate the two.

My ProStacker is sitting on my deck unused.

There IS one great feature of the ProStacker: The handles on the sides work wonderfully on the center section of the WSM. You can put these handles on and still get the WSM cover on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Had I known what I was getting into I would never had purchased the stackers. I'll give it a try at least once to see how much smoke escapes during a smoke. Thanks for the heads up..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LDThornton:

I paid $21.95 for one and $26.95 for the other. It would have cost $16.95 each to send them back. Getting the edge crimped didn't cost anything. I wrote to the manufacturer thru their website 3 days ago and he has not replied. I think I came out way ahead of the curve doing it the way that I did.IMHO </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, free is a price I could live with.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LDThornton:

Had I known what I was getting into I would never had purchased the stackers. I'll give it a try at least once to see how much smoke escapes during a smoke. Thanks for the heads up.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It ain't the smoke that escapes... it's the gooey black gunk that usually runs down the inside of the WSM.

Had I known, I wouldn't have ordered either. It's a shame actually, because otherwise it makes so much sense.

yeah I was stoked when I got mine, then I realized how big a POS it is. Do the folks @ proQ even have a WSM to work with? Are they using that knockoff cooker they make to fit it? Then they send out the thing as is and want to charge me to restock it...BS!

I bought one earlier this summer and it sure doesn't fit... I did not need it earlier, but had finally time to do the flip mod and tried to twist the lip a bit. Tested it this weekend and while it worked quite ok (I only cooked some ribs on top grate) the stacker got so stuck to the bottom that I had to hit it with 2x2 piece of wood before it came apart.

I don't have access to tools like LDThornton, so I'm just going to cut a line on the lip and twist it some more. I don't need it that often, but it would have been nice for it to work out-of-the-box.

I'm also thinking about using this as a base for rotisserie mod (I have one for my gasser, so I only need some holes and a holder for motor).

Any chance you have a photo of that crinkle job? I want to take my stacker to the local HVAC place and I am figuring a picture is with about half an hour of my babbling.

Many thanks!

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:
Any chance you have a photo of that crinkle job? I want to take my stacker to the local HVAC place and I am figuring a picture is with about half an hour of my babbling.

Many thanks!

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Took a pic for you. Those aren't cracks but paint flaking. I took a brass brush to it after I took the pic and it looks like bare steel now.
CrimpRolled.jpg

Originally posted by Tom Ferguson:

I'm with Tom on this one. Ordered mine early, finally got it and thought "perfect now I can cook even more" tried it out and what a pain in the arse, it was so freakin hard to get it off. Now it sits in my garage. Anyone want to buy it?
icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck Piercy:
their stacker is piece of CRAP/Ripoff/CRAP.
Should I tell y'all how I really feel? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We are all in agreement there. Since I own two of them I'll give them one try though. They might be good for cooking a steak, ect. over an open camp-fire.

Thank you for the photo - So they crimped the bottom of the Stacker so it would fit more easily into the base???

I think I got it!

Pat

I bought one and have used it once. The lid fits okay to begin, but sticks before it seats on the lower flange area.

I just can't understand why that top lip is so tall. All it needs to do is keep the lid from sliding, so a quarter inch overlap would be plenty tall.

My idea is to take a Sawzall to it and see how the lid fits then.

Any thoughts on this idea?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:
Thank you for the photo - So they crimped the bottom of the Stacker so it would fit more easily into the base???

I think I got it!

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The top of the stacker is what I had crimped. I had to crimp it so that the lid would fit. I have two stackers and before I had the top edge of each stacker crimped they wouldn't even fit into each other. The bottom of the stackers work fine on my WSM middle section so no work was needed there.

Back