PRIMO v. Big Green Egg

I'd go Primo XL only because I've actually looked at both in person and have some experience with the quality (to me BGE is right up there though) And only because I like the oval format VS round format.

Thanks!

So, we all contend that the Primo has equal or better quality than the BGE?

I've heard that the BGE soudns much more solid and is 1/2 inch thicker - is that just BGE fluffing?

Anyone have experience with Primo's customer service?

Both Primo and bge have a great warranty on most of the parts. There is no problem what so ever with warranty service. I have cracked the fire box, rings etc and they were all replaced with a smile. Don’t forget the heat can go well over 800 degrees and cracking can happen on the cool down. Primo is better built in my opinion.
I don’t know about Grill Dome service?
Steve

Just remembered another reason I liked the Primo over the BGE. With a primo you can use a divider for indirect cooking vs. on the Egg (and my Kamado) you've got to put a heat deflector in for in-direct cooking. I really like that and figured it would work well for those cooks where you need a hot and warm zone. You cannot do this with a Kamado and I doubt you can with and Egg either. I'm either cooking direct or indirect. A good buddy of mine who owns a Large BGE pointed this out to me when I asked him to look at the Primo website for me. Hope this helps.

There was a comparison chart out there on the BGE and Primo that listed the wall thickness, if memory serves me correctly they were both about 1/2 inch. I highly doubt either are over 1 inch just going by weight. My K weighs 551 lbs and it has 2 inch thick walls. The XL BGE weighs 205 lbs, Primo weighs 192.

If anyone is seriously interested in a Komodo Kamado I have a friend who wants to sell his.

It's BRAND NEW. Well he did cook one pizza on a stone in it.

He decided that between his Cookshack and Solaire he didn't really need it after spending $3600 on it!

It's all black and stainless steel. It's a thing of beauty and in need of a good home.

Now it's in the Sherman Oaks part of Los Angeles County.

Bradley wrote "Not to hijack but does anyone have any opinions on the Grill Dome?"

I had a grill dome. It cracked after a year. I talked to the guy that runs the company and he said that he would send me a new one but I had to pay for the shipping. When it was shipped when I first got it, it cost over $300 so I wasn't to thrilled. I figured that I would have to go through this every year or so. That's when I got a WSM and am glad that I did. I have put out much better q since.

$3600 new
icon_eek.gif

Originally posted by Vic C:
Bradley wrote "Not to hijack but does anyone have any opinions on the Grill Dome?"

I had a grill dome. It cracked after a year. I talked to the guy that runs the company and he said that he would send me a new one but I had to pay for the shipping. When it was shipped when I first got it, it cost over $300 so I wasn't to thrilled. I figured that I would have to go through this every year or so. That's when I got a WSM and am glad that I did. I have put out much better q since.

Good info -thanks for posting!

About 3 months ago or thereabouts I had the chance to look ad Komodo Kamado, PRIMO SL and the Big BGE at Fred's BBQ in Shillington, PA.

Not meaning to insult I just don't like the looks of the KK, it's probably a really fine cooker I'm sure - just not for me.

Basically all three are heavy and there would be no issue IMHO about holding temps. I really think that all have a good rep (I've visited the KK board and Dennis seems to be top notch).

AFA wall thickness on BGE vs Primo - I didn't measure. But the wall thickness on all three is more than substantial. BGE vs Primo, I really don't think there was any difference. I do remember thinking that the oval design was key for me (surface area and ability to split direct/indirect).

I have accessories from BGE (18" CI grate) and Primo (grill extensions). Based on that they are high quality.

If you guys want me to take a ride and have a list of points you want me to check out let me know.

Greetings all,
This is my first post on this forum, and I am the fellow with the KomodoKamado for sale. I'm personal friends with Marlene, and she is one awesome gal. But back to me--In my outdoor cooking line up I've been really digging my Amerique electric smoker that cooks "low and slow" over wood, and also my Solaire infrared monster grill. This grill is like a gas grill on steroids, and I had only used it for foods like steaks and any food where I desired a crusty char and medium rare interior. I was frustrated that neither cooker provided a way to cook foods that I wanted to come out crispy (like chicken) but with more moderate cooking times. I began a quest was for something charcoal based and something that could cook somewhere in between my two cookers. I researched like crazy and came to trust the ethicalness of the fellow who invented KomodoKamado. He is one amazing fellow named Dennis. I knew that I wanted his cooker, and I also knew that modifications were being planned for KomodoKamado. I was really, really patient while all of the perfecting took place. After a year or so, I took the plunge. In the 4 month period of waiting for my cooker to arrive from Indonesia, I began tinkering with my Solaire and I found ways to adjust the 3 burners, thereby creating some stable moderate temperatures. So now I'm doing pizzas, and beer butt chickens in my Solaire infrared! When my Komodo arrived I used it a single time to do a pizza on a stone---so we're talking that even the grates are as pristine as the day it arrived. I ultimately decided that this cooker was something I wouldn't be using, because of what I learned that I could achieve with my 2 cookers during the time I was waiting for the Komodo to arrive. Who knows if anyone wants to shell out big bux for this awesome cooker, but it's here in Sherman Oaks, California---should anyone be interested. The Komodo that I bought was the very top of the line. It's Glass Black in color, and is called the GenII. I paid extra for a gas igniter, and I also had a custom made Sunbrella fabric cover made for the cooker. It looks like it could be in a brand new cooker "showroom". I'm going to be asking $2200 for something that I paid more than $3600 for, and it's look is no different than how it arrived. It may sit, or it may sell, who can say? Time is no issue for me, so I won't be doing any bargaining. I don't mean that last statement to offend anyone, but it does seem that I'm offering a very generous, albeit unusual sale.

Cheers all,
Jeff

I'm afraid I can't comment on the Primo but I have a Kamado and a BGE (and a WSM etc).
The Kamado is a #7 which is way too big for me - everyone said get the biggest you are comfortable with so I got the #7 over the #5. Well the K certainly has thick walls but this means it takes a long time to get "heat soaked" and it is hard to get a good seal at the bands so it takes a long time to snuff out so I felt cheated using it for a short cook. The lid was heavy, despite the spring assist but the grates were "industrial" The net result was it fell into disuse. The tiles have started to fail and I tried to get a #3 for regular use, alas the company fell apart. I ended up with a medium BGE and I love it - much quicker to heat up, easier to light and worth firing up for a meal for one. The temp control setup of the BGE is very easy to use (as is the WSM's). The ceramics are from Mexico and the metal parts from China. Simple and tried and tested, probably not the most refined, but this is charcoal cooking and it's fun. OK I'd like a large and small combo but the med is great. There isn't nearly as much room (but then it's a medium) and most of the third party accessories are for the large. I'm not sure I'd plump for the XL as it doesn't seem to have such an established user base - general opinion is that if you want the occasional extra grill space your better off getting an extra cooker - but then you've probably already got a WSM right?
To sum up - I think the BGE is a good compromise on wall thickness and I assume this goes for the Primo and Grill Dome too, I also think the large BGE is the best size. Regarding the space you can always double rack but you'll probably find one of those racks being taken up with a heat barrier - you still can't beat the WSM for low and slow capacity.
Sorry for the length of post - I got carried away! (OH and if anyone knows of a good UK home for a jaded K7...)!

I have a large BGE and 2 XL Primo ovals. I use the large BGE more because it's efficient when cooking a small meal for 2. I do larger cooks on the Primo. The Primo oval is very versatile with extra racks to go underneath for indirect plates or juice catchers, racks that go up for 2 level cooking. It beats an XL BGE because of the dome heighth.

It really all depends on how much you are cooking and what you're using it for. After using a ceramic grill -- I can't imagine being without one for home use.

I've got a Primo XL Oval and a Primo Oval Jr. I like both a lot and don't ever see myself getting rid of them. Customer service from Primo is great.

And the best thing is, Primo is MADE IN THE USA!!!
The others aren't.

I had no idea there were so many ceramic users on this site. Cool stuff! So Jason, how you coming along on your decision?

Thank y'all so much for the feedback.

I am now leaning toward the Primo because of the size issue.

I already have a One Touch Platinum and two WSMs (both old ones) and I'd rather buy a ceramic than the bigger WSM.

So, I'm thinking the large BGE would be too small for entertaining, while the XL Primo would be too large for everyday cooking for two people.

I've heard that the divider for the Primo comes in handy for smaller cooks, does it work really well?

90% of the time, I'll be cooking dinner for two people, but I don't want to be limited in size.

Is there a nice compromise with the PRIMO XL divider and my cooking situation?

Also, I have found a Primo Jr. Oval for 450 that hasn't sold - maybe that is an option too?

Is $700 a good deal for a PRimo XL?

Is the $700 delivered and does it include any accessories? I doubt it on the accessories for that price but thought I'd ask.

My understanding is $700 delivered for a $1300 model.

I don't know, but I haven't seen a $1300 Primo - maybe that is some retail or MSRP?!?!?

I am going through a good friend of a friend, so I don't have full details. Just $700 for the Primo XL delivered at this point...

Larry, do you think the Primo XL will work well for cooking meals for just two people? I'm really interested in using the high heat cooks for pizzas, baking, and searing steaks.

Well my Kamado is a little smaller than the XL Primo and bigger than a large BGE and I use it for cooking for 2 adults and a 7 year old all the time, hell, I use it when I'm cooking for myself too. Others however think its too big and thus buy a smaller cooker too. Me, no issue here. I do wish I had the configuration options the Primo offers vs. what I have with the Kamado.

Pizza's I think the standard "round" shape probably lends itself better to these cooks vs. the oval (at least that's what others have written. I'd look at how often you will do pizzas and see if it's worth it to you.

Nice input, Larry.

Unless a Primo owner says otherwise, I think I'll be good to go with the firebox divider.

You've concerned me though with the pizza talk. I was talking about this just a few days ago - wouldn't the round BGE produce a better round pizza?

I really intend to cook pizzas once a week or more. We're extremely inventive with pizzas and love trying new things.

One of my favorites is a beef cheek pizza!

I wonder if I could do more oval shaped pizzas and achieve the same effect as a round pizza in a round BGE - then again - that would nullify the use of the pizza stone, which is a must, right?

Just curious how round vs oval affects a pizza cook? What diameter pizza's are you usually making? As long as you can fit your size into the oval, I don't think the shape is going to affect things much.

Back