Prime Rib- Standing Rib Roast-Last months recipe

Okay so im a month late. But im back in LA now were its 80 as apposed to 8 and im ready for some cooking...so pops asked for some nice meat for fri night din din and i picked up a 22 pound Prime rib. Yes, you heard me 22 pounds...its an entire rib. All 12 ribs i believe are there.. i had him cut off the bones and then tie them back on. I didnt want the hassles of cutting off the bones when it was done, though people have said its not that difficult. Im worry enough cooking this expensive piece of meat the last thing i want to start doing is making myself nuts with the cutting..

SO we are having 11 people over for dinner, yes there will be leftovers but thats ok

so its all tied and ready to go. i am planning on using the herb crusted recipe that is posted on the cooking section. I will be using Green egg lump for the cook. the recipe calls for kingsford but im sure he wont mind. SO im thinking of lighting up a chimney full and then puttin an unlit chimney full on top and then following the directoins.. the only change is that ill be using lump.

Also a question i had is since this thing is really big do you tink the cooking time will be much extended or prob the same ratio of time.. 20 some minutes per pound. if the 6 pounder took 2 hours will this 22 pounder take 8?
will it even take longer cuz its all one. should i cut it in half, six ribs in each section

whada ya guys thing...theres a lot of cash on this piece of meat.......

(im posting again about my chuck roll)

let me know waht you guys think...

oh ya chow down time is 7pm let me know what you guys think and then ill make some calculations regardind when i have to start this cow

PICTURES: 20 Pound Standing Prime Rib

Mords, re: the rib roast. I would bear in mind that it's just longer, not larger in mass in the sense of a softball vs. a basketball. I don't think it's going to take appreciably longer, once you get up to cooking temp. Cut it in half if you want, but...

im def going to let it stand for atleast 2 solid hours before i start to cook it like the recipe says.....it looks really cool this big so i prob wont cook it if it fits....but its still gonna be 20od minues per pounds.. so still looking at 6-8 hours....right doug.. thanks for the swift reply

Okay, here is my timeline....(already made the fresh herb rub, smells nice)

out of fridge by 8am rub with herbs and sit roomtemp for 2 hours...9 am start the 1st chimney of green egg lump...get the meat on at 10 am...cooks 6-7 hours....pull latest hopefully by 5....cover well with foil and let rest about 2 hours....7pm we will be at the main course...cut and serve....

internal temp i think ill take off aroudn 125-135ish...the folks like it a good solid medium to (oy i cant even say it) but there should be enough pieces that everyone will enjoy there cut of meat..take care

Hi Mords,

I bet you will love that rib roast, I did one and I thought it was great. I'm doing another myself on Sunday.

I don't think I would cut the large one in half myself but Bruce Bissonette has done large rib roasts maybe he can chime in about cutting and cook time.

If it does take 8 or 9 hours I wonder if you will run out of lit lump with the way you intend to fire up the WSM. I don't like to light lump then try to add it to an assembled cooker, maybe have some briquettes on hand to light up and add if fuel becomes a problem (just cuz they are easier to deal with) or finish it in the oven.

Enjoy!

Mords,

Hold on !! Re-read what Doug said. Your 22 pound rib roast monster is longer not larger in diameter so the 20 mins per pound has to be modified. I think your looking at around 3 hours for rare maybe 3 1/2 for medium give or take, if your cooking at 325°. Use your digital therm to be sure.

Al

I did my first prime rib for Christmas -- it was half of a $100 Costco rack = $50. I had a friend who did a specially fed $300+ mail-order beauty, but sadly he badly overcooked it.

I used an ET-73, and I would have been LOST without it. Consider using one. I pulled it at 134 internal, cause my crowd tends to freak out about "too rare" -- it was perfect for us. Others frequently pull it off at 124 or even lower for serious rare.

Good luck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Al Silverman:
Mords,

Hold on !! Re-read what Doug said. Your 22 pound rib roast monster is longer not larger in diameter so the 20 mins per pound has to be modified. I think your looking at around 3 hours for rare maybe 3 1/2 for medium give or take, if your cooking at 325°. Use your digital therm to be sure.

Al <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree! I don't have experience roasting such large pieces of meat, but the cooking time most certainly isn't linear with respect to how large that roast is compared to three or four bones. I'd say shoot for 3.5 hours also, but give yourself time on either side of that in case it gets done quicker or later. Have some finger foods for snacking just in case it runs longer.
icon_smile.gif

You might also talk to a good butcher and get some advice on cooking a full rib roast. Please reply back when you're done so we can all benefit from your experience.

i have some kingsford on hand in case i need to add more fuel...I did hear waht doug said about the cooking time, however , im still not quite sure exctly how long itll take... i hear what your saying that it migh tonly take abnout 4 hours... mmmmm.. Maybe ill call the butcher and see what he thinks the time will be.....

I bought my folks a thermapen so i will be using that to check on it every not so often and ill have Nu temp shoved into the middle ...so ill use that to monitor the temp...or maybe ill use the Guru temp gauge to monitor the meat and the nu temp to give me a reading of the wsm.. i think ill do it that way...

so im pretty confident now though that i def wont be overshooting the 5 pm mark.. i really cant have it in there longer than that cuz of Sabath regs....its just i dont want to take it out much earlier than that......ill let ya guys know what happens....

htanks for the tips

Hey Mords, I thought about it some more ... do you think you need to cut that 22lb beast in half so it will fit?

Another advantage of cutting it might be that you can cook one piece rare and the other piece to medium and have them ready at the same time. If ya did cut it then you could throw half on the bottom rack and wait 30 - 60 minutes then throw the other half on the top.

With my cook I took it to 136ºF internal and I wouldn't go any higher in the future. It was medium - medium rare in the center tending to well done on the outside after the rest in foil.

actually it just fits on the wsm. ill have pics shortly....im not going to cut it at all. i thought of it too...but id rather not play with the piece of meat to much.. it looks really nice now....all rubed and waiting to be cooked....but good suggestion though.....

i am going to go with your experience and take it to 130-135 or so.. cuz some ppl like it medium and some like it well...and i will be lettin it rest prob for about 2 hours...

the lump chimeny is lit now, im about to pour it in and then another chimney on top....meat will go on at 1130...thanks

I did Harris Ranch USDA Prime Standing Rib Roasts for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I just used my regular rub and Hickory for smoke. I like to start out hot 350F and then step it down to 180f-200f as I shoot for an internal of 120f-130f then let it rest for 30 minutes and use a curved 6" Forschner boning knife to get it off the bones that add flavor while cooking.

The only problem was they did not last long
icon_wink.gif

meat went on at 1130am....had a hard time staying at 350.. even with 2 hours out of fridge internal temp was 40 so it took alot of heat out of the wsm...neways i added some kingsford and now its at 350.. oh ya i had to use the guru to get it to temp.....internal temp is at 80 so it looks like its cooking pretty quick....im goign to let the wsm start coolin down a lil bit....it wont hurt if it cooks a lil slower now...

Its 3pm now and meat is at 120.. wow this is cooking way faster than i thought....i guess Doug was right on!? Neways i closed the vents and now its at 240 im going to let it hang ther for a while...

i guess ill put it in a cooler wrapped in foil and a towel when it hits 130ish....is should hold for a few hours.....until 7pm....mmmm....

OK i guess i lied.. its 315 now and the meat is at 130 all around! Oy Vay?!?! the wsm is at 230.. i guess ill wait another few degrees...but it looks like ill have to wrap it and put it in the cooler......hope itll stay semi warm for 4 hours...

wada ya guys think...can it stay warm for 4 hours.. 20 pound piece of prime rib....mmm...

my briskets stay warm for that long.. so prob this thing would too....well.. ill let ya konw what happens....im taking pics....your not going to have pics of it cut up until Sat night cuz i cant take pics on fri night.. but i should have a pic or two when i take it off teh wsm....

Yes, i pulled the meat around 4pm the temp was 140. I know, I know you think its charred but folks here like it like that...and i thihk itll be solid medium when i cut....i wrapped with heavy foil and put in towel and in cooler where its resting...

Thoughts about the cook: Forget the 20 min a pound rule...Prime Rib no matter how large cooks in about 3.5 hours (thats what i take from this cook) also, i had to add about 30 kingsford to get the wsm to stay at 350, but when it got there it stayed rock solid..

Im going to put a link to the pics in my first post. It makes more sense to do it that way. Cant wait till 7 and ill let ya konw how it turned out sat night...

take care adn thanks for all the tips and help

That looks outstanding! I wish you had pics of what it looked liked when you cut it open. My wife likes meat med-med well and I was worried that some of the temps being mentioned would be to rare for her. Me, I don't mind picking hoof out of my teeth. No more than med for me, and rare is perfect! She has come a Longgggg way from the way she used to like meat, very well done when we first met.
icon_eek.gif

Too bad you didn't get any pics of carved meat .... the same thing happened to me when I did mine, I forgot all about taking those pics and began feasting
icon_smile.gif
though I did manage to snap a pic of the few remaining scraps on the cutting board.

Looks fantastic Mords ... I can smell that prime rib it and almost taste it! I can't wait to do my second one tomorrow.

Thanks Al, it was Great! This was prob the best meat we have tasted EVER. It was Awome..So i pulled it at 140 put in cooler for 3 hours....there were about 3 pieces that could have passed for medium, however most was a nice well done... thats how my wife likes it...next time, i will take it out at 130 and then itll be perfeect medim..

i didnt take pictures cuz it was shabbos and im not allowed to....so thats why no cooked pics.. it was def an experience cooking this large piece of meat...trying to figure out what to do next fri night...they say they all want monster ribs...will see?

Thanks for all of your tips and support...it came out great....Def worth the money!!! (of course my dad payed for it, so then of course its worth it)

Back