Prime Rib Roast

BradyB

TVWBB Member
Hello,

This is going to be my first time cooking up a prime rib roast. It is about 6.85 lbs. I was not able to travel with my smoker so I am going to cook it indirect on my parents gas grill. I was thinking about trying to keep the grill temp at about 300 degrees. I read that it takes about 12-14 minutes per lb, is this correct? What temp should I pull the meat off of the grill at to let it rest and get to a medium rare temp? Pull at 125 degrees and let rest for 20 minutes? Thanks for the help. I am using a Santa Maria Style Seasoning on it and putting it on a roasting rack and maybe pouring some stout beer in the pan to help keep it moist. How do you all do it on a gas grill?

Skip the beer. You'd be wasting it. It will neither flavor the meat nor 'keep it moist'.

You can either do one of two things: sear first then cook, or cook then sear to finish.

Either way, leave the roast out of the fridge for 2 hours before cooking. For the first way, crank all the grill's burners all the way and get it hot. Scrape the grill clean. Turn off all but one burner. Place the roast on the grill over direct heat and brown all sides, about 7-9 min. (If flare-ups occur move the roast to indirect till they subside.) When seared, move the roast to indirect, bone side down, bone tips pointing toward the heat source. Cook at 225-250 to an internal of 125?. Remove, rest 20, tented.

For the latter approach: Crank all the grill's burners all the way and get it hot. Scrape the grill clean. Turn off all but one burner. Place the roast on the grill over indirect heat, bone side down, bone tips pointing toward the heat source. Cook at 225-250 to an internal of 112?. Move the roast to direct and brown all sides. Remove at 125?, rest 20, tented.

Either way, cook time should be ~2-2.5 hours.

Great, thanks Kevin. I will give one of those a shot. We will see how it turns out. So I don't need a roasting pan/rack at all, just put it straight on the grill?

I'm going to cook my first rib roast tonight for some friends on the Genesis. My WSM is in the backyard shed and I don't want to shovel through the snow drift to get it. I plan to use a simple S&P and minced garlic rub/paste. Question is, I do have a cast iron smoker box and hickory chips I could use. Anything I should consider before using the smoker box? Would the chips need soaking before-hand? Would I use just a small handful? Or skip the smoker box all together?

Thanks guys.

If you would like some smoke flavoring use the box, if not don't. No need to soak chips. The amount is dependent on the size of the box and how much smoke you want to generate.

Soaking the chips will just take it an extra 30 min to dry the wood before it starts smoking. Throw the box on, let it get hot and start smoking, & then add the meat.

Wayne,

This is probably too late for yesterday's cook, but I will offer it for your future cooks.
When I use the smoker box for longer cooks (over 1 hour), I put some larger pieces of wood in the box, rather than only "chips". I will add a few peices that I chop with a hatchet to a size of approximately 1 inch by 1 inch by 2 inches. These seem to last longer than just the chips.

Ray

How do you cook a Prime Rib Roast on the WSM? The one time I did one, which came out great, I cooked at very low heat in the oven, then very high heat for the last few minutes. Had the crust and the red center...

I am guessing very mild smoke wood too? Color me curious. This could be an interesting delicacy for the family.

Thanks in advance,

JKC

You do the same on a WSM. Cook low (~225, give or take 25) till 7? shy of your internal target. Remove the grate with the roast on it, remove the center section of the WSM (much easier if you simply cook with an empty, foiled pan in it rather than water), then place the grate with the meat directly on the coal ring. Sear, rotating the roast as needed to avoid charring, till the roast is nicely colored and you hit your internal target. Remove, rest 15-20, tented, slice and serve.

Alternatively, sear the meat first in an oiled pan; move to the cooker then cook till you hit your target.

A little wood, or not. Your choice.

Thanks. I am going to try that one this Spring for Easter dinner.

Since Prime Rib is so flavorful, I'll probably use no smoke wood... What is the taste like?

JKC

A smoky surface finish. If lightly applied, especially with a lighter wood, the flavor is light; if the opposite the flavor is more pronounced. I usually use some.

Back