Prime Rib Question

Weston

TVWBB Fan
Hey guys, I'm planning out a boneless rib roast in the near future and had a simple question. Do you think it is better to sear then cook indirect or reverse sear? I'm planning on doing both the indirect portion and sear portion on my Genesis if that helps. If you favor a reverse sear then why, if you like to do a sear then indirect why do you favor that over reverse? Thanks in advance guys!

Weston,
I don't bother with a sear.
Below pic is hour 3 of a 4 hour cook on the WSM.
Hood ran about 270 for most of the time.
Gas may change things though.
IMGP6914.JPG

@bob- wow that looks great, was that cook time for medium rare? That is a very good starting point and you gave me the idea of just using the reverse sear only if needed. Smoke it, then if I have a crust like the one in your pic then I'm fine, but if not I could just sear at the end. Best of both worlds, thanks!!!

Personally, I like to cook them low and slow to the desired degree of doneness, then, while the roast is resting in it's tent, crank the heat up then finish it/carmelize the exterior.

I no longer sear on my standing rib/prime ribs with pretty good results (see picture below). Another tip is to let your roast sit on the counter for a couple of hours prior to cooking. For me this seems to promote an even edge to center temp in my final product. I too do my standing ribs/prime rib around 270ish with excellent results.

If memory serves me correctly this was a 7 lb roast that ran just under 4 hours (I'm somewhat fuzzy on the time though so don't quote me).

Christmas2011599.jpg

Christmas2011612.jpg

I don't sear. But like LarryR said, let it sit for a few hours before you cook - let it come up to room temp. I do mine low and slow and pull it off when the internal temp is 125 or 130. Let it rest about 20 to 30 mins and then its time to eat. I get a nice even medium rare from center to edge every time. Good luck.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Russ, Larry and Bob C were right on. The only exception I use is a target temp of 300 at the lid and pull when internal temp of roast his 115 - 120 and rest for 30 minutes with a loose foil tent. Perfect rare to medium rare and a great crust.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
Bob

Back