Primal cut -- Brisket

Here are some pics of a BBQ I did recently 07.08.2005 of a pork shoulder (British style) and a primal cut of brisket ( bone on ).
brisket
I was wondering if anyone has cooked a primal cut of brisket. This is the tenderest cut of meat ever! Brisket + bone-on!
Anyway, Jim [Minion] had given me advice to inject with FAB if dryness was a problem. I did not inject (although I did inject the sacrificial pork shoulder (also primal cut) for flavour reasons.

Can you cook the primal cut at a comp ?

This thing is incredibly tender, I'm sure I could win with this.
morgan

Hi Morgan, Sounds like an interesting cut of beef, when I asked my butcher for a brisket he looked at me like I had 2 heads, so I can imagine it's slightly different than what you would buy off the shelf in the States. You will have to take a look at the link for the photos though because I can't seem to be able to open it??

I don't believe it would be illegal to cook a primal cut brisket but finding one may be a real problem.
Jim

If you really want one, the meat packing houses in Chicago on Lake Street can provide them.

When I first moved back to Chicago a few years ago, I was in need of a brisket for a competition. I scheduled a trip to the packing house to get my meat. The butcher came out holding a "carcass-sized" brisket for my inspection.

Fearful of whether it would fit and also if I could figure out how to trim it down, I opted for the much smaller "packer" cut.

This thread has me thinking about maybe looking for one to try--would the meat around that bone be similar to that found in rib tips?

BUMP

Sorry about the photos, it fixed now.

on edit: I was sure the photos were working ... someone had commented on the size. I'm losing my mind (must be the smoke) because I posted essentially the same thing twice, what a muppet!

They say the mind is the second thing to go ... I don't recall the first.
Here is the other post

Back