Price for PP

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
My boss and his wife came over Smoke Day. This morning,my boos asked me what I would charge for some PP. He said his wife absolutely loved my PP,and wanted some more. They will pay for the butt and whatever I want to charge for cooking and pulling. What do you guys think is fair? Thanks in advance.

It's hard to say. To cover costs don't forget about the charcoal, wood chunks all the rub ingredients, sauce ingredients, as well as the cost of the meat. Also there's your time. Having said that I usually just do it for people for free. All depends I guess.

Clark

They sound like candidates for their own WSM. Tell him to buy one and then teach him the ropes.

Spending a day with the boss is not a bad thing!

I assume you have PP joints around you. Look at what the BBQ places charge by the lb, and knock of 30%. Tell him that in advance, I think it would seem like a fair amount.

Or, whatever you pay per pound raw, gross up by 30% (to account for cooked weight being lower). I wouldn't charge for the coal, if it's one butt and you're doing other stuff.

However, Gary's idea is pretty good. It could avoid uncomfortable situations in the future if he keeps asking. But I'd do it the first time and say something like "if you really like this stuff, I know where you can get a good deal on your own WSM and I'll show you how to use it, it's so fun, great hobby, stimulates world peace, blah blah"

The church and fire deparments usually charge $10-12 per pound,if not more. I'm thinking somewhere along that line. I'm also gonna tell him that next time it will cost more(to encourage him to get his own!).

If it was my boss, I'd tell him to buy the meat and I'd smoke it for him gratis. Put a butt or two on for yourself at the same time.

yep, my boss would get it free except for the cost of the meat. the fact that they like what you make is payment enough.
icon_smile.gif

I will cook my boss a couple of boston butts when I cook some for myself. He just pays for the meat I cooked for him. It is no extra cost for me except for the rub and injection. Maybe worth that to score a few brownie points.
icon_cool.gif

I charge $10lb, 2lb minimum in vacuum sealed bags. We all love BBQ'ing and get alot of enjoyment out of it. However, once you start doing it for other people it becomes work and the fun factor tends to die down. It's a good amount of work and costs and you already know your BBQ is better than any BBQ he can get locally! So make it worth your while, you'll be surprised how much people will pay for good BBQ.

Places around here vary in price and quality. There's one place that has actually pretty good BBQ and they charge $8lb.....there's another place that serves BBQ that tastes like it was cooked in a crock pot that sells for $14lb.....

Just went through the same thing. My wife's boss wanted me to smoke him a brisket last weekend. He offered to pay whatever the price I charged. Since I was smoking a brisket of my own, I just charged him the cost of the meat.
Now other people at her work want smoked briskets also...............price just went up!
If it becomes an ongoing request and you are smoking items just to fill requests, I would charge a fair gross profit price (30-34%)above cost after cooking per pound.
My local bbq joint (which is excellent) charges $10 lb for pulled pork and $12 lb for brisket.

I get $10.00/lb for pulled pork and have had no one complain with that price and it does come vacuumed packed

Thanks,everyone. I talked it over with the missus. She said that since I like him,just double the cost of buying a butt. Sounded good to me. Told him I'd do it for $30. He was very surprised at the price. I probably could have gotten more,but it keeps me honest,plus I get to smoke something for myself!! Can anyone say turkey breast?!
icon_biggrin.gif
We also discussed him getting his OWN smoker,and not making a habit out of this! Oh well,my fame spreads!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back