Pretend I'm handing you a baby. . . .

BruceW

Last Saturday, I did my first pork butt, a 9.25 lb. picnic butt. Had to do it on a kettle because I don't have a WSM, yet.

Basically, everything went wrong right from the start. After 4 hours, the temps climbed up to 275-300 at the dome and stayed there. Nothing I did could bring it down. Went to bed and when I woke up it was 175. Rattled around the grate to clear out the ashes and added coals, and the temps went back up to 300. Damn. Foiled it and let it cook some more.

When I pulled it off, had the wife catch it with a beach towel. Explaining to her what to do had me stumped. I basically set her up like a mom with a receiving blanket and said "Its not too hot - pretend I'm handing you a baby". Into the cooler for a couple of hours, and pulled it before the company came.

Even at the high temps, it was nice and juicy and shredded real easy. I was really expecting to be breaking apart shoe leather.

Three things I learned:
Port butts are incredibly forgiving
Make sure to set aside a serving or two for yourself - this stuff disappeared
My wife likes pulled pork, and I now have permission to buy a WSM. I'm checking a specialty BBQ place for end of season sale tomorrow.

Great story Bruce. Yeah them butts are very forgiving aren't they. Good luck on finding your future obsession cooker. I picked mine up at a True-Value Hardware Store. Keep us posted.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back