Prepping for 1st cook - have a few questions

I got my new 22.5" WSM this week, assembled it and did a test run a couple nights ago to break it in.

Tomorrow night I'm planning on my 1st cook and I think I'll do a beer can chicken (something relatively quick that I can get started after work).

I've been doing a little searching on amount of fuel and method to start it and here is what I found, let me low if I'm way off base.

Fill charcoal ring with a single layer of unlit briquettes (planning on Stubb's). Add full chimney of lit coals to the ring. Smoke wood will be apple and maybe a chunk of hickory. Planning on using water pan and would like temps around 300-325.

Will that be enough fuel to reach those temps? Sound like I'm on track?

Thanks!
Westy

I'd fill the charcoal ring with more than a single layer of unlit...I usually fill it all the way up no matter what I'm cooking, but you don't have to for a short cook like this. It's better to have more than you will need at startup than to have to refill mid-cook.

It's been a long time since I used water in the pan. Without water those temps with a full lit chimney is no problem. Not sure about with water. May have to crack the lid or the door to get more airflow...higher temps. May not, though, I can't remember.

Good luck!

I would not fill the water pan, it holds 3 gal and will use up a lot of energy to get you up to the temps you want. This should be a relatively short cook, foil the pan and fill it half full. Good luck on your maiden voyage! Once you get on to this cooker you may not use the water pan at all but that's for later.

I agree about using more charcoal. Last weekend I did one at 250F and finished it for the last 20F on my Weber gas grill to render the fat. It was awesome. Apple and oak smoke.

Good luck however you choose to go.

Glad to see this topic as I am attempting the same today. Plan on filling some water in as I have seen from others how the first few smokes run a bit hot.

Picked up 2 birds from the meat shop and they had a variety of smoke wood available. I ended up grabbing a bag of peach wood so I think that's what I'll use on these birds tonight.

Back