Preparing to cater my own baby shower

We have started to pack leftover boxes for guest at our parties now. Enough clean up in the morning to not have to deal with full foil pans, vac sealing, filling bowls, etc. Most were always asking for them anyway, and since we always go overboard and cook too much, we now just pack to-go boxes. Seems to be a big hit with the guest.

We have started to pack leftover boxes for guest at our parties now.
We bought a case of take-way containers (Costco Business) a couple of years ago, and they get used FREQUENTLY. My g/f thought I was more than the usual crazy when I suggested this, now she agrees that it was a smart buy and not very expensive.

We bought a case of take-way containers (Costco Business) a couple of years ago, and they get used FREQUENTLY. My g/f thought I was more than the usual crazy when I suggested this, now she agrees that it was a smart buy and not very expensive.
Yup. Had many guests, especially at our big Christmas party, pull me aside and ask for leftovers to take home. I was packing venison chili in mason jars, (yes, we are a bunch of rednecks :) ), when I decided that the next event I would plan for the leftovers a little better. We always have BBQ and other foods around, either fresh out of the smokers or frozen, so I didn't mind it at all. I bought leftover containers at Sam's, and as I'm putting the food away to stay fresh, I'm packing containers for the guests. We don't do special orders, just a little of everything in each box. I guess we could plan a little better and cook less, but we are kind of known for having a nice spread and filling up our guests with lots of great food. It's really great to not have to deal with the extra food the next morning too. That said, all of the leftover beer is mine. ;)

Yep, there still would have been leftovers. I think almost everyone took home multiple sandwiches. I think I made about 180 sandwiches.

There were a lot of sides leftover too.

In our family"s culture, leftovers being sent home with everyone after a big family gathering is expected. It's looked forward to by most family members. Especially my BBQ ;), but really many things other family members make. Everyone brings something to a family gathering. Nobody comes empty-handed. Poor form.

If there is a get together or pot luck or such, and it is for 40, I usually bring for at least 100.
However, if everyone brings enough for 40, we have 4000 percent too much.
Which as you know, is just about enough.

Making sandwiches in advance, or during, saves a lot of stock. But it can add quite a bit of work. Usually you need some people to help day of and such. Now you know why so many of us never get to eat much during event. Still love it though. And again, congratulations pulling this off, and so well.

Last edited:

Back