prep for smokin a bird

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

We're planning on smoking a 20 pounder this Thanksgiving....My questions are as follows:
1)Will a 20 pounder fit in the Weber bullet?
2)Anyone have info about where to buy a turkey rack?
3)After an appropriate Brine, what time will I need to get up Thanksgiving am to start a smokin the bird...It'll probably be freezing here in Massachusetts and lunch is tentatively planned for early afternoon 1:00 or 2:00 pm.
4) Am I nuts to do my first turkey smoke on thanksgiving?
Have a great Thanksgiving one and all, and any suggestions will help make my family fat and full!

Sam,

See Turkey Selection & Preparation for more info.

To specifically answer your questions:

1. <LI>Yes, but you may need to use a vertical stand on the lower grate.
    <LI>Check the meat dept. of better grocery stores, also stores like Barbecues Galore.
    <LI>For the best skin, I suggest smoking at 325-350*F with no water in the pan. Cooking times are found on the page referenced above.
    <LI>Yes, you are nuts. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Buy two turkeys and do a practice run before the big day.
Regards,
Chris

Chris is right. Practice with 10-12 pound bird. Cook without water or at maximum half water. Cook smaller birds or (better) a bird and a breast. (Lesson I learned the hard way).

A 20 pound turkey will fit.

- Dave

Sam,

Go for it ! I tried my first bird last year on Thanksgiving, and it turned out great. I think it was a 13 pounder, and it finished in under 4 hrs.

I would recommend using lump charcoal for the cook. You won't have any trouble keep the temp up over 300 if you use it instead of briquettes.

Good luck !

Thanks for your advice....I'm going to go for it and hope for the best.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back