Preferred Way To Eat Pork Butt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Schwartz

TVWBB Fan
I made 2 large Pork Butts yesterday that came out great. We had a family "discussion" regarding the best way to eat it. My son wanted to mix it with bbq sauce. The rest of the family preferred enjoying the fresh smoked flavor and juiceness without sauce. Just curious what everybody else does.

Heaped on a potato roll with a bit of bbq sauce of some kind, doused with a little of the vinegar sop sauce and topped with cole slaw.

Very similar to Susan. Potato roll, pork (with plenty of bark hopefully), BBQ sauce, and cole slaw. Vinegar sop sauce sounds good though, I might have to try that.

My favorite BBQ sauce is a Georgia style mustard sauce, but why limit myself. You never eat just one anyways..
icon_wink.gif

I don't mix the BBQ sauce with pork ahead of time or anything. Everyone in my family likes it a little different anyways.

-Matt

You can buy potato rolls in the grocery store. Around here they are everywhere, and they are yummy! "Martins" is the name of the potato rolls I buy.

I like my pulled pork on a big fresh kaiser roll, with cole slaw or chopped onion and you can add any kind of sauce if you want.

Dave, i usally eat mine while pulling it.
icon_biggrin.gif
When i get done pulling the butt i'm full so no sauce for me.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Larry, Martins Potato Rolls
icon_wink.gif
Now thats good eats. Bryan

Dave, I put mine on plain old white bread and add a little sauce(Sweet Baby Ray's)for taste! I think that's how they do it in the Carolinas??!!?!?

Greg, it depends on what part of the Carolinas you're talkin' about. That can get some pretty heated discussions goin' between Carolinians!
icon_eek.gif

I usually use kaiser type rolls, vinegar BBQ sauce and cole slaw. Kinda East North Carolinian, except for the kaiser roll.

Lately I've been using hotdog buns because the "hinge" part helps hold all the stuff in the sandwich.

Actually, we tried Gonella bread which is a type of Italian bread that is long and crusty. We normally use this type of bread for Chicago Italian Beef sandwiches but in an effort to be authentic, I'll get the potatoes rolls mentioned when we heat up the left overs. Cole slaw was mentioned in a few of the posts. Do you guys put it on the sandwich???? or do you eat it on the side?

I usually eat mine like Bryan . . . as I'm pullin it. The wife does most of that now. She claims that there's not as much bark the way I pull it.
icon_wink.gif

I've recently become addicted to eating pulled pork over a loaded baked potato. Man, it's good.

Definitely cole slaw ON the sammitch. Martin's is my brand of potato roll, too. (Schmidt's sucks--or is it Snyder's that sucks-- and the Wonder brand doesn't taste nearly as good as Martin's, IMHO). They're yellowish. Soft and kinda sweet. Delish!

Matthew---I got that sop idea from Raichlen. His recipe for cole slaw to go on pulled pork is to make it out of sliced cabbage plus sop mix, and his sop is basically cider vinegar plus the rub you used initially. So now I include a wee little pitcher of the vinegary sop sauce to lightly douse the sandwich, and THAT's good eats. Gives it a nice little zing.

Joe, not me. I have a daughter in law that went to the University of Iowa, Morrisa Brody. Graduated about 5 years ago as a dentist. A very useful addition to the family!

Dave, Like Bryan I eat some when pulling. I really like the flavor (especially the bark) with nothing on it. Then when it's time to sit down with a plate I use an East Carolinan finishing sauce (posted on this site)and a side of Cole slaw. I would kill for Martin's potato rolls but unfortunately I'm South Beaching it.
icon_frown.gif
Cliff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Preferred Way To Eat Pork Butt <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I choose to stuff as much in my mouth as possible, do a cider vinegar boiler maker with a ketchup chaser, shake my head from side to side to mix (looks cool with my mullet haircut), and chew it all up while the drool runs down my greasy chin and drips onto my stained & faded NASCAR t-shirt, and swallow (if I can).
icon_eek.gif

And I'm probably the only one on this site to admit it !

Ha !

C'mon Rath...admit it. You have wanted to do it.

Jeff

PS. No offense to the mullet.

icon_razz.gif

Slobs like me prefer to have one on a potato roll with Kansas style BBQ sauce, then one on white bread with vinager sauce than just chow down on a little on a plate mixed with cole slaw. No matter how you eat it...it's just plain good!!!

Nick P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back