Pre-Smoke Day Ribs

RichPB (richlife)

TVWBB Wizard
Ok, so my sister came up for Smoke Day festivities and, since she got here late Friday afternoon, I started a bunch of stuff early so we could enjoy the ribs when she arrived. I also added the lower 14.5 grate full of two Andouille brands (Aidelles and Zatarains) and a pack of Johnsonville Jalapeno Cheddar with the overflow on the top grate with the ribs. Nothing spectacular about the ribs except for following the Best Ribs in the Universe recipe (mostly). I say mostly because... oh, oh, that's not Masterpiece sauce in the fridge, but Masterpiece Honey Teriyaki marinade -- and not much of it. So lets mix it with the last of Annie's BBQ Sauce and, yep, that seems about right. Anyway, after the dry rub, put in the smoker for three hours, brushed sauce over it, in for another hour, brushed again and took them off when I could easily tear two away. They could have stayed on longer for me. Al dente and plenty moist, but excellent with lots of time availalbe for reheating.

The sausage all the sausage smoked for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. For Smoke Day, I added in the Hot Italian sausage my sister brought. I will be cutting them up for toothpick serving at a Labor Day party we're going to attend. That day, I'll put them cut up on the grill indirect in a basket to heat/crisp slightly. Short ride to the party. I've tried this before with other sausage and it has been a huge favorite.

Edit: I forgot to include that late in the cook cycle with the sausage off, I added some my recipe stuffed jalapenos. After smoking about an hour, took them off and put them indirect on a medium grill for 10 minutes to firm up. And that is my go to method for poppers -- as of now!

Yeah, I got one pic of the rib coil with attendant sausage. More sausage can be seen below. All in all, I loved how the 14.5 handled this just as anticipated. I've decided to stick with my standard water pan covered with heavy duty foil to catch the drippings and minimize cleanup. Happiness is a thin blue smoke smoker!

pre-Smok Day.jpg

Back