PP performer

Status
Not open for further replies.
PP {pre plastic
icon_wink.gif
} Performer. I added the second grate in the bottom so small pieces won't fall through and the 2 racks are higher than my cooking grill. not sure if removing one of the grates will be enough.

are the two racks not meant to be used with the cooking grill?

Also has anyone put a chimney over the gas instead of the 2 charcoal holders? did it work ok?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">are the two racks not meant to be used with the cooking grill? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think I missed something in the translation. Are you talking about Charcol rails or the Charcoal baskets. I have two charcoal grates on all of my Kettles. Sometimes I use the rails and sometimes I use Fire Bricks. Either way, the cooking grates fit with no promlems. If clearance is minor, you can bend the cooking grate support tabs up a enough to gain the extra hight or bend the charcoal grate supports down or both. I've done that on two of the used Kettles. Just part of my "Tune-up" process.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mac McClure:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">are the two racks not meant to be used with the cooking grill? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think I missed something in the translation. Are you talking about Charcol rails or the Charcoal baskets. I have two charcoal grates on all of my Kettles. Sometimes I use the rails and sometimes I use Fire Bricks. Either way, the cooking grates fit with no promlems. If clearance is minor, you can bend the cooking grate support tabs up a enough to gain the extra hight or bend the charcoal grate supports down or both. I've done that on two of the used Kettles. Just part of my "Tune-up" process. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it comes with 2 charcoal baskets that are taller than the indirect cooking baskets made for the Kettles, I added a second charcoal grate to make them cross patterned and they were way too tall, with the one grate out they look closer but still tall. I will take some pictures.

oh and I fired that bad boy off and made some ABTs, simple cheese bacon and Texas rub. made 10 #2 son at half and I nailed the other half yummy
icon_biggrin.gif

ok the second charcoal grate for a cross pattern was too much. the wire baskets for lighting off the charcoal are taller, stronger and FIT when the second grill is removed. looks like I need to find some thin expanded metal...

both bins are sitting on the performer the wire behind the sheet bins

baskets.jpg

Hey Dude,
The one in front is definitely from Weber. The larger wire ones look like they fit something else, maybe BGE or another type of ceramic cooker.
These are Webers "wire" charcoal rails that I sometimes use.
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-39...id=1255050844&sr=8-2

And these are the Weber "Char-Baskets" that you have.
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-96...ef=pd_bxgy_hg_text_c

I have them also but only have used them once.
For indirect and slow cooks, I usually use "Fire Bricks". You can pick them up at "Pacific Supply" for about $1.25 apiece. The closest one to you is in Fresno. It's on (get this) N. Weber, if you can believe that.
icon_biggrin.gif

I've seen several pics of older kettles with the type of wire baskets that Dan has. Could be an original version, or not.

Tim

Sorry Dan,
I was having a senior moment when I posted my reply.
icon_redface.gif
I got you mixed up with George in Visalia.

No Pacific Supplys that far south, unless you want to make a trip to Vegas.
icon_wink.gif
But I'm sure somebody down your way has the Fire Bricks.

I do believe the wire baskets are the stock baskets to light the charcoal with the gas burner. It sure works well.

BUT if I am gonna dump them I need to get some channel locks to grab'em, my Lodge gloves can handle the smaller ones but the wire REALLY holds the heat
icon_eek.gif

All of my SS Performers have the wire charcoal baskets. The newer plastic table Performers come with the sheet metal charcoal baskets.

I have not used a second charcoal grate to create the cross hatch ### pattern. But, maybe you could flip the top one upside down, and lay both of the grate wires parallel but slightly offset, and create a //// pattern. This would tighten up the gaps to reduce charcoal fall-thru, and slightly reduce the height to allow the wire charcoal baskets to fit in there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mac McClure:
Sorry Dan,
I was having a senior moment when I posted my reply.
icon_redface.gif
I got you mixed up with George in Visalia.

No Pacific Supplys that far south, unless you want to make a trip to Vegas.
icon_wink.gif
But I'm sure somebody down your way has the Fire Bricks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>yeah Fresno is not exactly next door. on the other hand IF we find a weber down here you MUST have we can meet somewhere and swap BBq for bricks
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by doug ep:
All of my SS Performers have the wire charcoal baskets. The newer plastic table Performers come with the sheet metal charcoal baskets.

I have not used a second charcoal grate to create the cross hatch ### pattern. But, maybe you could flip the top one upside down, and lay both of the grate wires parallel but slightly offset, and create a //// pattern. This would tighten up the gaps to reduce charcoal fall-thru, and slightly reduce the height to allow the wire charcoal baskets to fit in there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>cross bars down and up so they did not touch, the thickness of the second grate was too much. On the other hand, I can use the wire baskets and set correctly, I will have the tight space so small chunks will not fall through.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">yeah Fresno is not exactly next door. on the other hand IF we find a weber down here you MUST have we can meet somewhere and swap BBq for bricks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DEAL
icon_biggrin.gif

I have Inlaws in Tustin. On my next visit down there I'll brink some bricks with me.

most reasonably sized towns have a place that has landscaping rocks, boulders and such. most times they also carry the fire bricks such as the place here. so look them up. the wire baskets you have are original ones that came with the older performers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back