PowerLine internet

John Bostwick

TVWBB Wizard
I have an issue this morning that has effected more then one heatermeter. When I started up the smoker this morning my thermocouple temps were fluctuating and I was getting a ton of noise. I tried two different HMs and they were the same. The probe connections are stable.

A roommate asked to install a powerlink Internet thingy and I was wondering if that could be the cause of the noise and temperature issues. My temps would read 215 then 225 then 206, they were all over the place.

I was wondering if these things can cause issues, like I am getting or is it something else. I tried two different power supplies, different circuits, and heatermeters and thermocouples, all getting the same fluctuations.

Update:

I just took one of the heatermeters and did a boiling water test and the temperature was stable as stable can be. But that same heatermeter outside was getting noise and fluctuations, just like the other heatermeter. I have no idea why

Update:

Now, I'm fairly confused as to what was going on as it's running good now. No more noise and all seems ok, like nothing happened.

Nothing has changed from when I was still getting noise to now, that I know of.

Keep a can of contact cleaner handy for next time the gremlins show up. Give the probe connectors and sockets a good shot or two.

Good Stuff, I've used this stuff for years to kill a zillion gremlins.

Last edited:
If it happens again, see if you have your HM plugged into a AFCU or GFCU outlet. I was having lots of noise issues long ago and they were only showing up on my outdoor outlet which is one of those AFCU/GFCU outlets. Bryan made the 60Hz noise fix which helped solve most of my issues there.

Well it was on a AFCU/GFCU but, I never a problem before and after it cleared up, it was fine after on the same outlet. I kinda wonder if it was my electric company checking the meters or I'm still wondering if it was the powerlink boxes. I tried the 60Hz setting and it did not help.

You might try the noise firmware from the online repository and see what the noise looks like. Maybe that would give a better idea of the source.

I just checked my box o' junk and I do not have my old powerline AV boxes to test with so I can't say if I see the same issues.

Back