Post your HM4.0 success here!

Which, not a bad price if you want to get those two probes (even if you are going to throw away the remote), and for me, I already had it sitting around, so really happy to use it with the HM4.0.
That's why the project uses em! I had one already so that's what I designed around. I assumed all their models used the same probes and it took a long time before I realized that ET-72/3 probes were different from ET-732 probes.

Using Big Steel Keg. First smoke using Heatermeter raspi, usually use iq110.
Put in pork shoulder at the open lid alarm. I had not been planning on cooking but could not resist, I did not a full load of lump in smoker, did not clean out the vent holes. Had the fire go out more from lack of air flow than being out of fuel about 9:30 pm reloaded with lump cleaned out vent holes in fire bowl fire reignited on its own
Adjusted vent more to about 1 on top, opened the shutter on blower about 1/8 inch total opening.
at 7:30 in the morning increased opening on bottom shutter about another 16th of an inch.

Last edited:
Using Big Steel Keg. First smoke using Heatermeter raspi, usually use iq110.
Put in pork shoulder at the open lid alarm. I had not been planning on cooking but could not resist, I did not a full load of lump in smoker, did not clean out the vent holes. Had the fire go out more from lack of air flow than being out of fuel about 9:30 pm reloaded with lump cleaned out vent holes in fire bowl fire reignited on its own
Adjusted vent more to about 1 on top, opened the shutter on blower about 1/8 inch total opening.
at 7:30 in the morning increased opening on bottom shutter about another 16th of an inch.

So after using both, how do you compare both the ATCs?

Too soon to tell, on my next smoke I may use the IQ110 to control temp and the HMRPI to graph the temp then compare the graphs. The Big Steel Keg is very efficient. Heats quick and holds temp it takes almost no combustion air. I'm using a 6 cfm blowers with the intake almost entirely covered with Max fan speed set to 25 percent.

Last edited:
Sure holds temp nice once dialed in! Kegs been lit for 24 hours. Dropped temp to 190 to see if it could hold it that low. Still going strong. Think I will shut it down now never smoked anything longer that 18 hours before.
Nice to know I can go 24 plus with no problem.

Last edited:
Real hard to get a keg to be stable that low (sub 250) Dale. Hopefully I can get mine to do the same once I get my HM built. PC board finally came in today, so just a matter of time and effort now :) I'll compare to my DigiQ II, but I can tell it's days are numbered.

With the IQ i was able to hold 225 or close to it. With the blower I am using I put a shutter on it and it is almost closed.
I used blower model "servo E0720H12B5AS-12". The local electronics store has a smaller blower But I thought it would be too small, I think I will buy it, next time I drive by them. It is a "GAMMA 26" 2 to 4 cfm. I think putting shutter on inlet of the blower or dampener on the outlet on the keg is needed as they are so efficiently insulated. Thinking of also putting weighted dampener on it but, from the talk on the forums that is easier said than done.

Success in a prefab case (some one used by another individual) - See the pics:

IMG_20130217_165734.jpeg

IMG_20130217_165209.jpeg

IMG_20130217_164943.jpeg

IMG_20130217_163005.jpeg

Probe connection points shown in the image above are incorrect (they where moved to the the right point on the heat meter board) You can see the correct placement in the 3rd image.

Last edited:
Yet to do first smoke still have to get a blower. It will replace my IQ and 3 wireless thermometers.

20130205_095810_zpsb984fde9.jpg

Water Proof Case from Big Five sporting goods, all mounted with screws on removable in acrylic back board. sealed other than power and probe jacks

hey dale how did you get the pi to mount ???? did you drill it????
edited: didnt realize that you had the newer pi which nicely has holes ready to go from the pictures i looked at
but while i may have your attention it you use 1/4 inch 4-40 screws or half

Last edited:
Screenshot_2013-05-27-13-17-56_zps8a404e8b.png
[/URL][/IMG]

First real smoke with Heatermeter 4 rPi on a WSM 22. This thing works perfect! It works as well as my Stoker and the interface is awesome. I really like not having to run a program constantly on my computer to graph the cook. Thanks Bryan! Also the Pitdroid program is excellent. Thanks to the developer for that also. 4 hour rib cook, the two spikes are first during foiling and second during unfoiling. Perfect recovery both times. Dan

Back