Post your HM4.0 success here!

@Dale - That looks great! What did you use for mounting hardware & where did you get the acrylic board? I'm starting to think about how I'm going to mount mine and wasn't sure how everyone was doing it.

First time working with gluing acrylic.
I got a few bubbles in the mounts. Might take it apart again and heat polish all the mounts to make the cut end clear.
I screwed up first case lid when I glued the display mount in as one solid piece and had major bubbles is it, I just changed the case lid. So now I have spare case to store blower probes and wall wort.

@Dale - That looks great! What did you use for mounting hardware & where did you get the acrylic board? I'm starting to think about how I'm going to mount mine and wasn't sure how everyone was doing it.

Bought the Acrylic at home depot, ordered Weldon 3 acrylic cement from amazon applied glue using small syringe and needle from the drug store(very small needle), glue is sucked in by capillary reaction. Mounted boards with 4-40 screws and nylon standoffs, mounted back plate with 1/4-20 screws.
I got the stand offs ( https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10461) and GPIO ribbon cable from https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11489 . I took one end off GPIO cable and shortened it.
Mounted the GPIO connector for the HM board on button side of board so ribbon cable works correctly.
The case was about 15 dollars plus tax item number 4333142 Outdoor products large watertight box from big5 sporting goods

Last edited:
If you want it visible from the internet you just make a hole in your firewall to let incoming HTTP connections go to the web server on the Pi.

Bryan, can you expand on this? Let's say I have a static ip for my internal network for the HeaterMeter of 192.168.1.69. What exactly do I need to open up on the router? I went and created a user defined firewall application for the heatermeter 192.168.1.69 specifically that allows traffic on tcp 6969.

This should open up port 6969 externally? I think I am doing something a little wrong here.

All you need to do is to forward any port on the router to port 80 on the HeaterMeter. Like my router is set up:
Source Port: Any
Destination Port: 22675
Forward to Port: 80

which means my heatermeter is at home.capnbry.net:22675. Basically it has to be any destination port, forwarded to 80 on the HeaterMeter.

And then post it here with your HeaterMeter password so we can all "help" with your next smoke :)

I love changing the temp and watching the smoker react . . .

All you need to do is to forward any port on the router to port 80 on the HeaterMeter. Like my router is set up:
Source Port: Any
Destination Port: 22675
Forward to Port: 80

which means my heatermeter is at home.capnbry.net:22675. Basically it has to be any destination port, forwarded to 80 on the HeaterMeter.

To expand on what Bryan says, there are 2 pieces to this in order to be able to access linkmeter from across the internet. The 1st is what you are doing now and different routers use different terminology but you want to forward a port(6969 in this case I'm guessing) to port 80 on your linkmeter, the 192.168.1.69. This should allow traffic to hit your router on port 6969 and it will be forwarded to the web server on the linkmeter. So then, how do we know how to get to your router so it can forward the traffic? This depends on what type connection you have, if you have a static IP from your provider then its simple, you can just go to that address or do as Bryan has and set up a DNS entry to point to it. But, most people out there have dynamic addresses from their ISP and the router address will change. This can vary from rarely to every day. The easiest thisn to do is subscribe to a free service like noip.com. There are many others, the pmost common was dyndns but now i think they are pay only. These services work with rour router ot a little app you install on a pc in your network and update their server with your current ip address. If you set up an account called mybbq, you would be able to go to http://mybbq.noip.com:6969 and get to your linkmeter from anywhere, even if your ISP changes your address.

Let me know if you need help with any of this.

To expand on what Bryan says, there are 2 pieces to this in order to be able to access linkmeter from across the internet. The 1st is what you are doing now and different routers use different terminology but you want to forward a port(6969 in this case I'm guessing) to port 80 on your linkmeter, the 192.168.1.69. This should allow traffic to hit your router on port 6969 and it will be forwarded to the web server on the linkmeter. So then, how do we know how to get to your router so it can forward the traffic? This depends on what type connection you have, if you have a static IP from your provider then its simple, you can just go to that address or do as Bryan has and set up a DNS entry to point to it. But, most people out there have dynamic addresses from their ISP and the router address will change. This can vary from rarely to every day. The easiest thisn to do is subscribe to a free service like noip.com. There are many others, the pmost common was dyndns but now i think they are pay only. These services work with rour router ot a little app you install on a pc in your network and update their server with your current ip address. If you set up an account called mybbq, you would be able to go to http://mybbq.noip.com:6969 and get to your linkmeter from anywhere, even if your ISP changes your address.

Let me know if you need help with any of this.

Thanks! I am very familiar with dynamic dns. I used to have an account somewhere, but I think I let it lapse. I am just having trouble with port forwarding on this stupid 2wire. I think what I setup was a DMZ, not a port forward so I need to figure that out. I will google and try to find some guides for my specific model.

Doing my first dry run loaded up my keg and running it now see how long this will hold temp IQ was now problem for 18 hours untouched.

No food in smoker just deffuser and racks. The probes are just sitting all together on top rack

It over shot, I think too much air: only have 6 cfm blower but did not choke it off or limit speed

Last edited:
Doing my first dry run loaded up my keg and running it now see how long this will hold temp IQ was now problem for 18 hours untouched.

Very much interested in seeing how this turns out!

Im doing a dry run tomorrow. If all goes well, I will use it to smoke my bacon I have curing in the fridge.

Thought I'd post another success w/the HeaterMeter! Haven't gotten to cooking anything yet, but so far working pretty well. I've really only had one issue, and that's as I was leaving it on several hours while I went out to eat, came back and all looked normal but I couldn't load the web page. Anyone else have this issue? I could still ping, but no web page. The HM board/LCD was still responsive and working (love having the important bits for the smoke on a simple microcontroller that "just works").

Also looking to chase down an issue where on boot the LCD says the IP is still 192.168.200.1, rather than the IP for the WiFi.

SavedPicture-201329142032-494x370.jpg

You can see more here:
http://www.thecondo.net/wp/index.php/heatermeter/

Greg, what kind of probe is that you have pictured?

Ah, answered my own question: ET-732 smoker probe with a grill clip. Gonna have to get myself one of those.

Greg, what kind of probe is that you have pictured?

Ah, answered my own question: ET-732 smoker probe with a grill clip. Gonna have to get myself one of those.

You're right! I actually got it from my old Maverick wireless thermometer:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044FFUMK/?tag=TVWB-20

Which, not a bad price if you want to get those two probes (even if you are going to throw away the remote), and for me, I already had it sitting around, so really happy to use it with the HM4.0.

That is the ET-73 wireless thermometer, I don't think it uses the ET-732 probes. You need to get the ET-732 Maverick for those.

Both probes work, but they do use different thermistors.

The best place I've found to get the ET-732 probes are here:
http://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=40

I've bought lots of stuff from Todd at Amazen Products.

dave

You're right! I actually got it from my old Maverick wireless thermometer:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044FFUMK/?tag=TVWB-20

Which, not a bad price if you want to get those two probes (even if you are going to throw away the remote), and for me, I already had it sitting around, so really happy to use it with the HM4.0.

Back