Post your HeaterMeter graphs

Bryan, just curious if you are still running these settings, and what do you have the min/max fan set to?
I changed my settings a little because with the v4.2 having TruVolt mode, it puts out less air at low percentages. I now have BPID= 0, 4, 0.04, 5 with a min/max of 0%/100%. I'll post a graph next time I cook, I meant to archive the last one but forgot about it until the next day.

Cooking a brisket right now

I'm in the middle of a brisket cook right now. Started the fire at 6am with one starter cube in the basket on the blower side of the UDS. Closed the lid, went in and trimmed/seasoned the brisket then got a shower and shave to get ready for work. The meat went on about 7:30 just before I walked out the door. I have a vpn connection to home (through another rPi) and was able to watch the wild oscillations as I drove to work (quick glances, not to worry. ;)).

I stabilized at 230 very nicely and I'm looking forward to brisket some time this evening. If it finishes earlier or the fire goes out or something I'll have my wife go get it and bring it in, as she gets off work much earlier than I do.

I'm running a UDS with KBB and a few chunks of oak. Specified blower with a ping pong check valve. There are some servo settings, but nothing is hooked to my 4.0 HM.
graph-19sep2014.jpg

settings-19sep2014.jpg

Hey guys could someone please shoot me a copy of your .rrd files from a recent cook. I dont have my HM built yet (still waiting on a couple of parts) but I do have my RPi up an running with the HM software installed. I have been playing with some customizations to the web interface and wanted to see how they look with some real data. You can email them to me at
robert.s.wainwrightATgmail.com

thanks
Rob

Todays cook......meatloaf and baked apples
lump coal, with 1 chimney of lite briqs, 2 chunks of applewood
pid....B=0; P=4; I=0.02;D=5; min 10%, max 100%
d6hCnA0.png
[/IMG]

Steaks! Really I just wanted to show off how well Rotodamper + HeaterMeter on a Large Big Green Egg works at higher temps with a thermocouple.

450F, dropped to 400F, dropped to 350F. Did some cooking then jacked up the temp to 600F. Is that awesome step response or what?

Steaks! Really I just wanted to show off how well Rotodamper + HeaterMeter on a Large Big Green Egg works at higher temps with a thermocouple.

450F, dropped to 400F, dropped to 350F. Did some cooking then jacked up the temp to 600F. Is that awesome step response or what?
Very nice!!

First Boston Butt

First Boston Butt cook using the HeaterMeter. 7lb rubbed and smoking! Messed around getting the meat on but the smoker stabilised in short order. I'm loving how stable things are with the Rotodamper and AirBurner. Servo and Fan in use. Now to settle back and wait for dinner!

Hot damn, you guys posted some nice looking graph's there! Makes me proud to see how well the Roto Damper and the Air Burner is working out for everyone...

Hot damn, you guys posted some nice looking graph's there! Makes me proud to see how well the Roto Damper and the Air Burner is working out for everyone...

It was pretty much the same all the way through the cook. One question - my thermocouple pit probe bounces around up and down 3 to 5 degrees or so continously. I have tried another thermocouple probe but get the same symptoms. It doesn't effect the cook but makes the servo do much more than it should. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Also the pulled pork was awesome. My twin daughters are home for the weekend from university so it was a very appreciative audience!

Did you set the gain for the TC amp (mV/C) to 5 in the HM config? Do you know if you have an isolated or grounded TC? If you TC is grounded, try running it while completely isolated (not touching ANYTHING) and see if it is more stable....

Yes the gain seting is 5. I'm not sure if the probes are isolated or group dedicated so I will run some tests in the morning. Thanks for the advice.

I have two TC's and they read rock solid, one expensive unit from Thermoworks, and one cheapo from Amazon. I did make sure both were isolated TC's before I bought them, because Bryan had been posting about his TC acting up when he touched it while barefoot, or when it touches the grill etc... I know he did a lot of work to make it so a grounded TC would read reliably, but I decided it was best just to get isolated units to avoid any possible issues. They don't cost any more, but in most cases you have to contact the retailer to ask whether the TC is isolated or grounded type.....

A quick test before bed. Three TC's off Amazon/eBay; All three read within a degree of 211 for boiling water but none will read below 60F when in a glass of ice & water. Is there a lower limit on the HM?

A quick test before bed. Three TC's off Amazon/eBay; All three read within a degree of 211 for boiling water but none will read below 60F when in a glass of ice & water. Is there a lower limit on the HM?

Sounds like you've got the 10K resistor installed on the PIT jack. It's only supposed to be installed if not using a thermocouple.

https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki/HeaterMeter-4.2-Assembly

"Do not install 10k resistor R18 in the pit jack if using a thermocouple."

Here is a short video of my HM with an external TC amp outside running the output through a 50+ft CAT5 cable, the TC is dangling in the (cold midwest) air. It is extremely stable as you can see...

Ralph, I removed R18 but still have the problem. Here in the TC in my oven set for 300F. The temp bounces around, up and down by 4-5 degrees.

Changing Power supply and WiFi dongle has no effect. I'm going to try and source an isolated TC. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:
First test run with the HeaterMeter on my WSM 22.5. 2 bottom vents closed one open for fan connection, top open about 25%. Currently 37 deg F today.

Last edited:

Back