Post Christmas Blues

Rick Reynolds

TVWBB Super Fan
Me and my wife are at the age where every Christmas WHAT DO WE GET EACH OTHER! God bless this country. This year I told her I wanted the Weber Goumet BBQ stuff. I got the searing plate and griddle with the cooking grate. Also got the Weber Rotisserie kit and the Ribolator. I should have investigated further but what the hey. Anyway, after using everything for 3 months I feel they are not what I expected them to be and didn't really enhance my overall cooking experience. More or less toys for boys. Anybody else feel this way?

Well, everything has a special purpose... I don't use my rotisserie very much, but it's there when I need it! I honestly could live with just the kettle and rotisserie, but I'm keeping my WSM, SJP and GGA for now. Downsizing will come later.... :(

I agree with you Mike. I didn't elaborate enough last night. Cooking a shoulder all day an imbibing all day. The rotisserie is ok for chicken and I have done a pork loin on it. The ribolator is great for wings and stuff that can fit in it. Last week I had the trays tipping over on me for the first time. Saw on here where somebody said cut the corners of the tray. I don't think i want to try ribs on it as i haven't found ribs small enough to put on it. The BBQ Goumet is OK. I like the heavy duty cooking grate that comes with it. Love the way the searing grate does sear a steak. The griddle I want to cook seafood on like scallops or whatever. But I feel the griddle is better for camping vs. home use. Overall, the rotisserie is the better of the three.

mike, i see nothing there that would tell me you need to downsize.
what i mean is that we have a lot of things that we think we need and then it just sits.
i'm guilty of that also. i just mention the specific gourmet system as that is what was mentioned.
now i really think very hard about what i need before buying. mostly it kinda goes that if i wish i had
a prticular tool/accessorie more than three times then its time to think about getting it.
i also highly recommend that folks get ss stuff. i got all kinds of rusting junk laying around.

I don't know about the other accessories, but I like the rotisserie. Am interested to see what it's like being used over coals and with a rib roast.

I like my rotisserie but I do not use it often. I enjoy the heavy grate and use a Lodge 12 inch frypan in the centre. It's great for onions and mushrooms with steaks off to one side. Bang for the buck you can't beat just cookin on the plain old kettle. As far as ribs go... I either roll them or now I have added tabs for a 3rd grill and I have a hover grill as well so ribs on 4 levels if I need to!!
My latest toy is the 26. Not because I needed it but just because I wanted it for fun. Can't always be practical.
I'm a little board too but spring is on the way.

Back