Possible short?

Dave Smith

TVWBB Super Fan
IMG_2233.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r221/oldsailor2006/IMG_2233.jpg

I may have a problem with the cat5 jack on the board.......I was using my ohm meter to verify the wire colours of the cat5 cable and noticed when I place probe on #3, numbers 4; 5 and 6 show a short, pining my meter. I took the jack off and resoldered it, still the same outcome. My soldering is good, no bridges.........so is this right, or is my jack shorted inside?

Hmm...
Pin3 = +5v
Pin4 = GND
Pin5 = Blower
Pin6 = Servo Signal

I would say it is a short elsewhere on the board that would make those pins appear shorted at the CAT5 jack, rather than a shorted out jack... But who knows, could be a metal fragment inside the jack??? Most likely elsewhere on the board.... Did you check the orientation of all the chips, transistors, diodes and electrolytic capacitors? Maybe post a (larger) pic of both sides of the board and someone on the forum might spot an error....

there seems to be a substantial smear of solder around the joints on the +5V DC-DC regulator where I circled in red unless thats just an oddity in the picture...
smear.jpg

so far the HM works, I was playing with a servo and it wouldn't move, got me wondering and that's why I traced out the colour codeon the cat5 jack. Other than that it works.

Back