possible problems for sunday lunch

Paul Jenkin

TVWBB Member
Ok Im cooking Spares using the BRITU and also doing a 7.5 pound baking hen. I started the charcoal using the prescribed method on the BRITU recipe. However, once i got the meat on. I closed the vents and the temp rose to 240. The temp began to taper off until 220 and i re-opened the vents to 100%. At this time the temp at the bottom grate went to 255 using my ET-73. On the next update it dropped dramatically to 231 with all vents 100%. Next update it was at 203. I lost 52 degrees on my thermometer within 2 minutes or less. The water inside is boiling, I just cant see how the thermometer can be correct. Any thoughts or help is welcomed. Im cooking sunday lunch for my family and one of their friends. Hoping to eat by 2.

Paul J.

temp is down to 195 and nothing i seem to do will bring it up. Smoke is still coming out, the fire is hot and water in the pan is still boiling. I can only think theres a problem with my thermometer.

You could be reading the temp of the water vapor coming off the water pan. Try sticking the therm in the top vent and see what temp you get there.

One quick question Is that chicken an Oven Stuffer Roaster (Perdue) type, or a true hen. Reason being that true hens can be really really tough if they're dry roasted as opposed to being baked in a casserole like a fricasee or such.

Al

No other thermometer in the house to stick into the top vent to check the temp? I would dig through the drawer in the kitchen to see. Sounds like something 'taint right.
The temps will drop after adding the meat, but sounds like there is another issue here. You can crack the door open to see if that helps get the temps back up.
Sounds like the water may be giving some false readings also.

it must be the water vapor. I've stuck the food probe near hte top grate and am getting a reading of 260 (not sure how accurate it is for air temp), whereas the smoker probe temp is at 198. I've never had this problem before, but then again I dont think I've ever had the probe on the bottom. I wanted it near the hen though.

Al: I'm not up on my "hen knowledge" All I can tell you is its a 7.5 lb "baking hen" that I got from my butcher. I had a previous post 2 days ago and was told it should be fine, just cook it like a small turkey or large hen. I brined it for 24 hours, and let dry overnight.

Bob: I'm at my parents, I live three hours away. I brought the essentials and nothing more. Don't believe they have another therm, but I will go look. The WSM is plenty hot, thats for sure, it has to be a reading error. I'm going with water vapor notion at this point.

Thanks for the quick replies all.

Paul J.

The probe is bad is my guess, lay your hand on the top of lid, if you can keep it there for a count of 3 to 4 pit temp will work.
Jim

Back