Portable ribs to Nantucket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Parizo

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

As a BBQ beginner, I faced my biggest challenge this weekend -- I signed up to serve BRITU ribs for 20 on the island of Nantucket for my mom's birthday party on a Thursday night. Here are the highlights and the challenges -- feedback welcome!

Since I couldn't bring my smoker out to the island, i decided to smoke 'em on the mainland (Cape Cod) ahead of time. Two batches: one on Tuesday night and another on Wednesday night; six slabs in each batch.

After transporting the smoker to the Cape, I got the first bactch fired up a little late on Tuesday night. Also, I realized that I forgot to bring my thermometer. With time running out at about 7PM, I loaded the batch up anyway without knowing the temp, and headed out to K-Mart for a replacement thermometer (ironically, it was right next door to "The Backyard BBQ" which was closed.) The best I could find at K-Mart was a Marth Stewart model and I didn't realize until I got home that it onle went up to 220! Oh well, at lkeast I could tell if the heat was too low!

Anyway, got those ribs off the cooker around 1AM and needed to get to bed so I foiled them and stuck them right in the fridge hot, because I worred about leaving them out all night. Question: was that the right thing to do?

Next night I worked on batch 2, was a little late from work so didn't get started until about 8PM. Out of laziness, I didn't clean the water pan from the night before, I just filled it with more water over the existing grease. Question: any hazard there? Same drill with the hot ribs into the fridge around 2AM.

Thursday AM: we're headed to the ferry. I packed up my duffel bag with the ribs (I noticed that the second batch were still warm even though they spent the night in the fridge!) and assorted bbq supplies. I tried to keep the ribs with me on the Hy-Line ferry because I was worried that my sauce would burst and make a mess, but the security folks made me check the bag. Anyway, we made it to the Island just fine.

Thurday 5PM: I added apple juice to each slab's foil pack and cooked 'em in the oven one more hour. 6PM: Fired up the grill and sauced 'em and grilled em in front of the guests. I have to admit the grill part was mostly for the showmanship. A few guests got the impression that you can grill ribs from raw to ready in 10 minutes!

Anyway, they were delicious and had many compliments. I can report that bbq ribs are very portable and hold up well to multiple heatings/cooling before they are finally served.

Best,

Doug

Doug,
First of all, glad to hear things turned out great. I wouldn't worry too much about the dirty water pan as far as germs because the meat wasn't in the water. The only thing I would have worried about is if the water became rancid from the grease. Doesn't sound like it sat long enough though. Sounded like you did great for a pretty tough and hectic task.

Dang... I thought there was a limerick gonna be waiting here. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

There once was a BBQer from Nantucket
Who carried his ribs in a bucket
He didn't have sauce
But all was not lost...

Ok, someone finish this for me /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back