Portability of Q3X

Scott P.

TVWBB Super Fan
We are looking to get a grill for use with our travel trailer when we go camping. I planned on getting a standard kettle, but am wondering how portable a Q3xxx would be. I've broken down and transported my old kettle in my 98 Grand Prix's trunk back in the day. But, I am wondering if the convenience of a portable gas grill would be better suited for our use. We just do burgers, chicken, hot dogs, etc. I see the Qs on craigslist and think I could find a deal there.

IIRC the Q3XXX is more or less permanently attached to the base. I would think a Q2xxx would be more appropriate.

depending on the quantity of food I would expect a q120 to be adequate. for charcoal and small cook needs I would not overlook a charcoal go-anywhere.

I've used my Q300 as a portable, it's pretty easy, remove the grates for ease of transport, unscrew the 4 screws holding it to the stand being careful to not lose any parts, lift out of the stand, transport, add the grates when you get there and hook up the propane and you're good to go!!. All this said, I picked up a gently used Q 220 that we carry in our TRek 2430 and it more than does the job and is far more portable than the Q 300 series. With it, you can use the small propane canisters or with the adapter hose, you can use the larger tanks. If you opt for the smaller Q 100 or 200 series, please go back in the Q forum and read how to start them when using the adapter hose and a larger tank, you will be a happy camper if you do!!! Good luck!!

I agree with Tom Bauer, the Q2xx and Q1xx are best for portability.

I have a Q220 and take it to the park, beach and camping all the time. You can find the Q2xx on Craigslist for cheap! I easily feed my family of 4 on the weekdays and can feed 8+ folks when not at home (in batches of course).

Please report back on which Weber you end up going with and always enjoy !

I have only seen the 120 in person and it was way to small. We are four adults and 18 month old twins, but I would like to feed another family if possible.

As you may have gathered if you have read any of my posts, I am a huge fan of the Q3200. But, if I were a tailgater/camper/cook-on-siter, I am afraid I would find myself shopping for a Q2200 instead of figuring out how to transport my Q3200, particularly if space is limited in my vehicle.

First, unlike the Q1200 and Q2200, the stand is required. The smaller Qs can sit on a picnic table, a pile of rocks, or even flat on the ground and be just fine. The drip pan on the Q3200 is built into the stand, not the base, so it is going to make a mess if you don't take the stand with you.

And, for travelling I think one of the coolest features of the smaller Qs is being able to use torch bottles. Not lugging around a 20 pound tank would be reason enough for me to give up the extra real estate on the cooking grid.

But, if you don't do it on a regular basis, and you have ample room in your vehicle, four bolts separate the grill from the stand. Pop those out, unhook the tank and transport it as three manageable pieces.

Back