Pork up-Beef down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cy Robinson

R.I.P 3/14/2017
Last night at 11PM I put the lid on my new WSM and the two of us started our journey through Smokeville together.

Used MM for the fire and sand in the water pan covered with heavy duty foil. Put in 4 chunks of oak for the smoke.

The cook went well but the temps seemed a little high. The dome temp was up around 260* to 270* and the top grate temp was in the 240*250* range. I have read that a new WSM will cook hot for the first few cooks so I fought down the panic and closed the vents a little bit more.

Started with 2 pork butts just under seven lbs each on the top grate and a 5.5 lb brisket flat on the bottom. One of the butts was rubbed with Emerils "Bayou Blast" and the other butt and the brisket were put in "nekkid".

The cooker was not opened until the brisket needed to come out and then was left closed for the remainder of the 11 hr 20 minute cook. Didn't peek once!

Everything came out Greaaat!! The meat was so tender the pork fell apart when we pulled it and the beef was moist and so tender we cut it with our forks.

The brisket got to 197* at 0700 this morning so I took it out and double wrapped it in foil and a blanket and put it in the cooler. Three plus hours later we had fried eggs and potatoes and the best brisket, still very warm, that I have ever eaten.

The pork hit 195* just before we sat down to breakfast so we took it off and just let it rest, uncovered while we ate.

We had almost 2 lbs of sliced brisket to bag and freeze and four 1.5 lb bags of pulled pork to freeze plus a good sized bowl for sammiches later in the day.

The brisket has a very pronounced smoke flavor, more than the pork. Was 4 chunks of smoke wood too much or is it just because the brisket was closer to the fire?

Anyway, thanks to all who helped me. Without you I'd still be holding a brisket over the fire with a wet stick. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

MMMMM... what time are leftovers???

Cy, there are many more on here who are wiser in the ways of smoke than I, but my experience and taste buds tell me that beef tends to pick up more smoke flavor than the butt, all things being the same. You might try using apple, peach, or another fruit wood. I do a brisket and butt combo on a regular basis, and I find that a combination of apple and pecan give plenty of smoke for the butt but also don't overwhelm the brisket. Some oaks can create rather strongly-flavored smoke, I understand.

Just my own tastes...

Sounds like you had an outstanding first cook! Ain't it fun??? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif And DID YOU TAKE PICTURES???

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Thanks Keri,

This morning, while cleaning up my short, pudgy traveling companion, (WSM) I found that one of the chunks of oak had fallen off the charcoal pile between the ring and the wall and was barely singed, so I really only had 3 chunks of oak that provided smoke. I have a box of apple that I got from an apple orchard. Next time I'll try it.

When all the ash was seperated from the charcoal pieces we had about 2lbs. that we can use again. Love that MM!

My daughter took some pictures that will have to be developed so who knows when they will be available.

Thanks again for the info! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I like a little oak with beef, I don't use as much wood as you did ( maybe a couple of chunks).
I use a lot more fruit woods but part of that is because that is what we can easily get up here in the PNW.
Pork I like a little hickory (can almost never come up with Pecan)and again we use a lot of fruit woods on pork also.

Hickory and Oak are both strong flavors so you may want to just try less next time and find what level of smokeyness you prefer.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back