Pork tenderloins on WSM with no water pan?

Tony C.

TVWBB Wizard
i have two pork tenderloins rubbed down with dizzy pig's redeye express. i have always done tenderloins indirect on the kettle, but am thinking of doing these two high heat on the top grate with no water pan. also will add a chunk or two of apple wood. i'll shoot for the same 145º internal when i pull and rest. i'm just thinking i can get a better flavor from the apple wood this way versus indirect on the kettle.

didn't get any pics. they turned out good even though i over cooked them
icon_frown.gif
. i thought they would take a little longer this way so i did 20 minutes on the 1st side and flipped. after 8 minutes more i stuck them with the thermapen. 1 was 153 and the other 154...gah!!!! still pretty good, but a little dry i thought. i used a chimney and a half of regular K. 3/4 to 1 chimney would have been plenty. and 10 minutes per side probably would have been money.i have 2 more in the freezer as sam's sells them 2 cryovacs to a pack.

Do the tenderloins from Sams/BJ's that you buy in packs require silver skin or other trimming?

yea, you need to trim the silverskin. they are not enhanced like most grocery store tenderloins though.

my experience is that tenderloins take no time to cook. I usually do them direct and measure doneness by feel. If I'm looking to smoke it a bit, I'll opt for the bigger loin.

Both require brining to me. it helps since they're relatively bland cuts with little in the way of marbling. I've also read that a brined roast is a bit more resilient to heat and gives you a wider window of doneness, allowing for some over-shoot.

Its interesting that you chose the wsm here. I would have went with the kettle with a very small fire off to the side. For a smallish cut like this, the kettle wouldn't need as much fuel, has a smaller volume for containing smoke, and gives you the direct option for adding a sear. just my two cents.

yea, live and learn. not one of my better ideas. at least there is enough coal left for me to do my wings in the WSM tomorrow night...lol

Back