Pork Tenderloin

Jay Lopa

TVWBB Fan
Has any one of my WSM owners
icon_biggrin.gif
Have ever smoked a Pork tenderloin ???????????

Pork tenderloin is about the leanest pork cut there is, and doesn't lend itself too well to smoking (read: low & slow cooking). A good sear followed by an indirect grilling works well, or a higher heat cook in the WSM. In any case, don't take it higher than about 145°. Take a tenderloin too high, or cook it too long at low temps, and you'll likely end up with dry meat-- which is the reason most of the ones you see at the supermarket are enhanced.

I've only ever done 1 tenderloin in the WSM, and I wasn't cooking it as tenderloin. I had brined it for several days and was trying to make Canadian bacon.

It turned out quite tasty. My wife liked it and everything. Other than that, I'm inclined to agree with Doug.

Ron

I haven't done the tenderloin yet, but have cooked pork loins. I know people have smoked tenderloins too. Either way, consider stuffing it with things like sundried tomato, figs, mushrooms, cheese, spinach.....good stuff.

Pork Loin
I haven't posted pictures here before, so let me know if this cannot be viewed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Draper:

Pork Loin

I haven't posted pictures here before, so let me know if this cannot be viewed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That link takes you to a login screen.

As for pork tenderloin, I sear it in a cast iron pan and then finish in the oven. They're so quick, it's hardly worth firing up the WSM. If you chose to, I think I might smoke it and then sear it. Similar to the way Chris shows for a roast (like tri-tip). I think that way you'd get more smoke flavor. Personally, I don't want that cut of meat to have a smoky taste.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jay Lopa:
Has any one of my WSM owners
icon_biggrin.gif
Have ever smoked a Pork tenderloin ??????????? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope.

If it's the wife's turn to cook, she does it on the gasser. If it's my turn to cook, I do it on the kettle with a few wood chips.

I like mine better!

icon_biggrin.gif

JimT

I haven't done it in a WSM, but I have done it in a BGE on the rack extender and without the plate setter with good results. I used maple wood and lump charcoal.

Back