Pork tenderloin or Pork center loin???

TimO

I've done a few pork tenderloins on the grill before with good sucess. I'm going to be cooking for six on Sunday and I'm just curious if a center loin would be the way to go? I don't recall ever buying a center loin but I think it is supposed to be a better cut?? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

A full center cut loin will feed more than 6, but they're GREAT.

I use the steven raichlen recipe that calls for it to be butterflied and rubbed with this awesome rub (lots of brown sugar, dijon mustard, jack daniels)
and wrapped in bacon.
there's even a jack daniels glaze.

it's KILLER! (in a good way i mean)

Two different pieces of meat if you're talking tenderloin versus loin. A tenderloin is the filet mignon of the pig, and the loin is located above that, running along the spine if you are looking straight down at the pig. For 6 people, I would suggest a loin. A full loin should weigh in around 8-10 pounds, where the tenderloins are under 2 pounds.

I actually did a pork centerloin last weekend. Came great. I didnt use a recipe and kind of winged it but here is what I did.

-Brine roast for a day
- Full chimney of coal banked to one side. I use firebricks to separate.
- Sear center pork loin on all sides with lid off rotating until fully seared.
- remove and put on clean plate.
- rub a little oil on roast once easier to handle and cooled a bit.
- Rub herbs. I used a little salt, garlic and fresh rosemary from the garden.
- Insert thermometer into center of roast.
- Return roast to kettle and place on side opposite of coals.
- I turned down my dampers to a little below half, but keep top open.
- cook til done

I ended up just getting two packages of pork tenderloin tonight. There are two small pork loins to a package. Is it best to tie them together? Thanks

My humble opinion would be to do separate. Would highly recommend brining as well so they dont dry out. Tenderloin is very lean.

Do them separate for sure. They cook fast since they are super lean. I do them high heat until 140 degrees, then rest for 10 minutes or so before slicing. I'm not a big briner of pork, especially tenderloin since it do delicious with out it. For me, a simple seasoning is all that is needed, even as simple as just Lawry's.

JMO. Grill tenderloins over a medium hot fire turning about every 4 minutes so you get all four sides. Pull at 145 or so and enjoy.

Back