Pork tenderloin or loin?

Stu B.

hey guys, just what I have here, loin or tenderloin? The meat cutter said it was the part of meat just past the shoulder roast " Boston Butt" it has the baby backs attached. What temp do I cook it to. It weighs about 5.6 pounds.

It's on here under cooking topics at the top.

Then under reference articles "Meat Cuts" It is a PDF file...maybe the issue?

If you like it med rare 140 is the new pork safe otherwise 160 ish is ok....195-200 I think it would be tough and dry.

No, that's way too high. Check this page out or do a search on which ever cut you have and you'll find tons of info. I like to go a little lower than what Chris said but that's me.
icon_wink.gif

Bill

This reminded me of something I wanted to ask. Many on here reference pork loins but do you smoke the loin or just cook it indirect. Seems to me it would dry out if done low and slow due to the minimal fat. Just curious.

Buckeye Bob

I just did a stuffed and rolled pork loin last night. It was 8.82lbs. It was too long so I tried 2 different stuffings to see which one I liked. I originally was shooting for a high heat cook with foil lined empty pan. It was taking to long to get to my target 350° so I just removed the pan and within 10mins hit 350° and placed the 2 loins on top. 1.5 hour cook was at 155°-135° and color looked good. Left tented in foil for rest. I measured grill temp with outside through eyelet just under grill weber thermo and a Tel-Tru lid thermo

forgot to add reason for high temp is my low and slow version of loin pork chop turned out to dry and leathery. Also country style ribs low and slow were at first dry but after foil and back on grill turned out great. I'll try and search/add for pics and add for you guys since i love looking at others cooks and appreciate the time it takes when you post. Ill be back

Hey guys, the original poster is back!? I'm cooking right now and it's been 2 hours and 23 min and internals at 113 F temp at lid is 260. I am really thinking this cut is closer to the shoulder I only have about 5 or 6 ribs on top of roast. How long do any of you think this will take?

So it ended up being 3 hours on the WSM at around 260 then took it off and into a preheated 350 oven for 30 min. internal temp was 151. I would have liked to have seen how long it would have taken but family was getting hungry. Ate finally at 7:30pm PST

If it was a loin....it was nicely done a little over med rare. If it was infact a shoulder you may not be 100% pleased with the results.

Whats the verdict?? Hope it was good.....

It turned out really good. Everyone was pretty pleased. The meat was cut pretty close to the shoulder maybe an inch and a half of blade bone and the false cap of a shoulder.

Back