Pork Shoulder Steaks : 145ish or 200+

GrantT

TVWBB Pro
So as per the subject line, do you cook your pork shoulder steaks with a bit of pink left in the middle somewhat similar to a more tender cut or do you cook them more well done? Normally I would braise these for a longer period of time to tenderize but we are craving grilled pork steaks today with the nicer weather (above freezing so almost feels like a summer meal day!) Wondering what the best way to cook these.

I cook these quite often. How I do it is 350+ direct temp for the coals. Cook steaks 3 to 5 minutes per side. Meat temp 145 to 155F. Be sure to check temps near the bones.

I do pork char siu (Chinese style pork) and cook the chunks till 145-150° and then let rest before slicing. If you’re doing these as steaks, so a thinner cut to begin with, I’d go indirect till 120° and then sear to get to 145-150°.

Final cook method depends on your rub, sauce or marinade. If you’re doing a sweet profile, just don’t burn it on the direct sear part.

So as per the subject line, do you cook your pork shoulder steaks with a bit of pink left in the middle somewhat similar to a more tender cut or do you cook them more well done? Normally I would braise these for a longer period of time to tenderize but we are craving grilled pork steaks today with the nicer weather (above freezing so almost feels like a summer meal day!) Wondering what the best way to cook these.
Depends on the color pre cook.
Pink is cut closer to the loin and is suitable for grilling.
Red is closer to the shoulder and is suitable to L&S like St Louis pork steaks.
Same thing with cuts called country style ribs...

Thanks for all the ideas, comments etc. Marinated and seasoned them, cranked up the bro-n-sear, and seared them up to get some nice char marks, then on the "cool" side until they hit about 145 or so...rested them for 10 minutes. Super juicy, ton of flavor, and great texture. 10/10 would do again!!

Probably too late for you, but with pork steaks I don't think I want to see pink.
Beef is another story......

Thanks for all the ideas, comments etc. Marinated and seasoned them, cranked up the bro-n-sear, and seared them up to get some nice char marks, then on the "cool" side until they hit about 145 or so...rested them for 10 minutes. Super juicy, ton of flavor, and great texture. 10/10 would do again!!
Try this sometime if you like lighter fare food.

Probably too late for you, but with pork steaks I don't think I want to see pink.
Beef is another story......

That is a really a holdover from the days where trichinosis was a risk. No longer an issue with more modern health standards. Pink pork (NOT ground) is perfectly safe. We do all our thick cut chops (I have always done rib/loin chops until now) and pork tenderloin to about 145 degrees and it is amazing (and pink) at this temp.

Back