Pork Shoulder over Brisket on the 18.5 WSM

Jack O

TVWBB Member
Hello people, I'm planing on smoking both a 8 pound Brisket and a 8 pound Pork Shoulder together this weekend on my 18.5 WSM. I was planning to put both on at the same time @ 225 - 235 degrees around midnight for a 3:00 PM Family BBQ.

Questions; Is my assumption that both hunks of meat will cook at approximately the same time in the ball park?

Is putting the Brisket on the bottom rack over a full water pan going to give me enough heat at the 225 - 235 range (measured by the lid thermometer)?

I intend to check the internal temperatures in the early morning with my Thermapen digital thermometer and foil wrapping at 155 - 165 degrees.

Any suggestions or hints or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

I think it will be hotter on the bottom rack. Always keep in mind you can start earlier and hold the meat in HD foil and a blanket for up to 4 hours if you get done too early. Every large hunk of meat cooks differently, sometimes the stall takes longer...start off earlier and foil hold (which you should do anyhows). Tell your guests ya cant rush perfection. I am guessing starting at midnight you should not be running over schedule. Take notes so you can have a ball park idea of a general cooking time for your next cooks. I power smoke so I can start in the morning and be eating by 4.....enjoy your cook!!

I'd start a little earlier just in case they cook slower. Midnight should be fine, but you don't want to rush them. Once the flat is done, cut it off, wrap it in foil and a towel and stick it in a cooler. Put more rub on the point and toss it back on the smoker. I'd found briskets cook faster than pork butt for me. You'll want to allow some time for the pork butt to rest before you cut it or pull it. Both meats hold very well when wrapped in foil and placed in a cooler.

I'd put the brisket on top so you can pull it easier if you need to. The butt is a lot more forgiving than the brisket is.

I'd put the brisket on top so you can pull it easier if you need to. The butt is a lot more forgiving than the brisket is.

Bob, Good point since reaching down to the bottom rack for the brisket might be an issue and I sure want to get it into foil before it starts drying out.

I'd start a little earlier just in case they cook slower. Midnight should be fine, but you don't want to rush them. Once the flat is done, cut it off, wrap it in foil and a towel and stick it in a cooler. Put more rub on the point and toss it back on the smoker. I'd found briskets cook faster than pork butt for me. You'll want to allow some time for the pork butt to rest before you cut it or pull it. Both meats hold very well when wrapped in foil and placed in a cooler.
An 8 lb brisket is probably a flat.

Well I did the Brisket over Pork Shoulder and both hunks of meat cooked faster than my last smoking session. I got them on last night @ 1:00 and ran the WSM at 235 but, at 7:30 both hunks of meat were already at 175 degrees internal temperature. I foiled wrapped the brisket with some Snowshoe Grizzley Brown Ale and the Pork with some Apple Juice. Both are back on the smoker at around 210 - 220 degrees. I'll keep checking every 45 minutes or so. At 200 I intend to blanket wrap and put into an insulated cooler.

Jack

It turns out that my brisket was a 8.5# packer with a very small point. It turned out great as did the pork shoulder and chicken thighs. Keri's Hog Apple Baked Beans complimented the day and after topping it off with some home made Limoncello, I'm ready for bed.

Jack

Back