Pork Shoulder & Mr. Brown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackomo

Hi All,

Well, due to my inexperiance I made a few boo-boos on my first BRITU cook. Having said that they turned out great anyway (the WSM is quite forgiving it seems). However, the 2nd cook has not started off well. I was intending on buying pork butt for Mr. Brown, but instead picked up a "Pork Shoulder Picnic Roast" Bone in. I has lost pork sheet with the different cuts on it, and panicked.

So can I still do Mr. Brown with this cut? Or shoudl I be heading back to the store?

I would proceed like it was a butt. I usually shop at costco and they stock boneless shoulders. If you ask for a butt-the butcher shows you the shoulder. It will not be a problem.

A pork butt is actually a pork shoulder, which is split into two parts. The first part is called a Boston Butt or Pork Should Blade Roast. The second is called a Picnic Roast. Both parts of the shoulder work well smoked low and slow, and are perfect for Mr. Brown. No worries.

Jeff T.

Steve

If you look at Chris' meat chart, you'll see the different locations within the shoulder. The butt is actually the top portion and the picnic shoulder is below it toward the shank. I got one like you're talking about and it did fine. It seemed to me, however, to have more light colored meat than the butt and was slightly drier. Perhaps it was my imagination.

Good luck with your cook.

Paul

Thanks for pointing that out, I was not clear about the anatomy...I have found myself picking 'darker' pork too. Nothing scientific but maybe more flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back