Pork Ribs: "3-2-1" cook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob B.

TVWBB Pro
Somewhere I read about a method of doing ribs that was referred to as a 3-2-1 cook. It was something like 3 parts (cook time) smoke, 2 parts (?), and 1 part foil(?). I seem to be noticing/reading that many competitors DO use foil at some point, so I thought I'd give it a try. Does anyone here know the specifics of this method. And, does anyone here admit to using foil during your smokes? Just curious... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Rob,
I?m not a competition cook but I use foil when cooking ribs. For spare ribs I will cook the first 3 hrs without foil then 2 hrs in foil and the last hour without foil. When cooking baby backs I reduce the foil time by 1 hr. I put a finishing glaze on during the last 30 minutes. I try to keep the temp at grate level to 225?-240?.

rj

Hi Rob!

I use foil every time I cook ribs. I cook baby's and keep my grate level at a steady 225? for the entire time. The ribs weigh 2 1/4lbs. per slab.

I will cook for 3 hours, unwrapped, followed by 2 1/2 hours in foil and then the last 30-40 minutes I unwrap, sauce and back in the smoker to crisp them up.

Now, there are many variables to these foil techniques. The ONLY way to find your ideal is to experiment. Once you have it nailed, then you MUST consider your temps as the most important aspect of the cook. In other words...if your ideal cook was at 240?, then every time you do ribs again, it better be 240?...or they will not come out perfect. That is because the foiling will "amplify" your temps...so pay attention to them.

As most around here know, I tend to be anal about my cooking temps. That is mainly due to my competition cooking, as the meats have to be turned in at very specific times. There is NO room for error.

One last tip....before foiling, I sprinkle either more rub OR some brown sugar and then wet it with liquid....I use some type of fruit juice with oil in it.

Good luck, Have fun and enjoy yourself!

ok well Rob brings up an interesting question. Let me take it one further . I've also seeen many wrap in celophane and then foil to get more of a steaming effect. One of the things i learned from going booth to boot at the Royaol last year is the brand really does mattter in celophane as you have to make sure your using one that hasnt been covered with a wax so it dosent taint your food. Has anyone employed this method and if so to what sucess or result? I'm tempted to try it side by side one just foiled to see the resultss by comparison but would think because of the seal I would have to adjust the cooking time for the double wrapped rack.

Thanks

well after a little research I have found out that if you are using cellophane on the smoker you need to keep a close eye on the temprature of the heat. "Saran original" from SC johnson informs me that it will mest at 250 degrees and advised pitching any food that has been melted on. The sister product sold previously as handi-wrap (dow chemical) now Saran plus (SC Johnson) now is thinner and made of a different chemical composition and will melt at 195 (dosent sound like a good idea to use)

Still looking for if anyone uses saran in there smoking?? or a competetior product?

When making sausage, I form the ground sausage into a link and wrap with Saran Wrap. I puncture a couple holes in the wrap then smoke for about an hour before removing the wrap. It helps the sausage keep its shape and really seems to hold in the juices. I am cooking at about 210 as measured at the dome, which is about 200 at the grate. I cook for about 2 - 2.5 hours.

Have not had a problem with wrap sticking.

Cooked 3 racks of pork spare ribs today, using foil as suggested above. I mixed in some of the rub with apple juice to mop them with in the foil. The crew all agreed that these were probably 1 point (on a 10 point scale) better than my unfoiled ribs, bringing my score to a 9 out of 10. Of course this score is from my very biased family. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the info!

Are we talking parts or hours for 3-2-1? If I usually cook spares for 9 hours, am I looking at 4-1/2 hours smoke, 3 hours foil, 1 1/2 hours un foiled to crisp - or will the foil reduce cook times to 3-2-1 in hours?

Just as a side I cook spares for 6 hour, let the pit temp climb during the cook almost never getting above 265?. I do not use foil, this method has produced a very good number of wins for us. I use the same technique with BB also and have won with those. If you are looking for fall off the bone ribs don't use this method.
I personelly have never found foil to be much of a help with ribs unless I want to speed up a cook. I guess everyones milage is different.
Jim

Jim,

I usually cook my spares 8-9 hours @ 225*-240* as I do like them falling off the bone - always tender, never dry. With all this talk about foiling, I thought I might give that a try. Maybe I should just leave weel enough alone. I am curious about brisket as well. Should this ever be foiled during a cook? What aboutif I were just to do the flat?

PJ, you owe it to yourself to try the foil at least once. It really does make the ribs very tender, while keeping them juicy. And the 3-2-1 is more of a parts ratio than time. And even it is variable. I think the "1" part should probably not be more than 30 minutes max. But experiment for yourself. I think you will like it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The problem I find with foil on brisket is it can go to pot roast texture very easily. Foil will work once you get the technique down.

I personely don't find that ribs are somehow drier because I don't use foil. We will cooked 6 racks and will foil 3 racks and cook 3 racks using our normal method, the non-foiled rack score better for us than the foiled racks. As long as ours ribs score 177 or higher I guess I will continue to leave the foil off of them until they come off the cooker.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back